Venture Crew Website V2

bano6010

I agree with Maq's comment.. I would certainly consider something slightly eaiser on the eyes for sure... additional thoughts:

• Ensure you site validates. 11 errors isn't bad.. you're almost there! (and in truth, it's probably just one 1 or 2 errors creating a chain reaction).
  • Also ensure your CSS validates.
  • I find that the font style you've selected for the left hand vertical menu could be better..as the font looks like some letters are 'breaking', as in some lines are not connecting when they should.. makes it a little tricky to read.. It's definitely readable.. but the font could be nicer (not sure if this is just on my Opera and Firefox however). I would consider some other font face.
  • The font size is bigger and bold all over the calender page. I think it would look better if it matched the main body text on the home page. Keep things consistent in appearance from page to page. (ensure all headlines are one size, all regular text another size, etc..

Overall.. simple and does the job it seems.

• Ensure you site validates. 11 errors isn't bad.. you're almost there! (and in truth, it's probably just one 1 or 2 errors creating a chain reaction).

OK really for what he/she is doing no one is going to care about the codes validness although with the simplicity of the site it really should be valid. Oh and if we are going into the coding side you have no SEO meta tags :P

but green is a no go at least not that shade. You might want to try like a 5 pixel image that repeats like http://www.empuriabravatravel.com/images/bg-line.gif but black/green

I am not going to lie the site looks like a free templet of dreamweavers and a CSS navbar you found on google.

Logo looks like you went into MS word then wrote down the name with one of the title effects and took a screen shot and cropped it in MS paint :) .

But It is a start!

OK really for what he/she is doing no one is going to care about the codes validness although with the simplicity of the site it really should be valid.

IMO, it's not a matter of what purpose the site is built for, but rather the principal of building sites correctly (read: in this context, clean code that passes validation). Good coding practices never hurts anyone (this isn't mean as an insult to the OP by the way).

OK really for what he/she is doing no one is going to care about the codes validness although with the simplicity of the site it really should be valid. Oh and if we are going into the coding side you have no SEO meta tags :P

You should always try to validate, no matter what...

but green is a no go at least not that shade. You might want to try like a 5 pixel image that repeats like http://www.empuriabravatravel.com/images/bg-line.gif but black/green

That link is not very useful as the image is only 3x3.

@OP,

I think everything is pretty good.  Just need to work mainly on the header, change the background color (maybe a lighter green?) and some other trivial things.

I think the site looks fine, but then I like yellow on green :)  Even the header I don't find fault with - not all of us have fancy graphics tools or artistic ability.  It's basic but easy to use.  Keep it simple I always say (but rarely do ;) ).

One thing you could do if you want though... you can allow users to change the background color using javascript, if you'd like to offer alternatives.  It doesn't even reload the page, it just changes the color.

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
function changeBGC(color){
document.bgColor = color;
}
//-->
</script>

then put a link for the change...

<a href="#" onClick="javascript:changeBGC('#ffffff')">Change Background Color to White</a>

I can't seem to modify my original post...

I failed to mention that only works if you don't specify background-color in CSS.  Instead you can use:

var body = document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0];
body.style.backgroundColor = color;

in place of document.bgColor...

Also,

document.body.style.backgroundImage='none';

will remove the background image, if any was there.

Code should validate.

Overall I think it's a good start.

The green and logo should be removed/tweaked. Put something in except a solid color background and I would consider trying to look at some decent sites and modify yours to what you think you like about others. You might consider putting a shadow on your main content, tiling a simple yet elegant background, and finding a site where you can have a bunch of people re-design the logo for free.

Are these colors the adopted colors of the crew? or should there be some hint of BSA colors? Maybe change the green to spruce-green and the black to charcoal gray?

Home: Need more content to welcome the visitors. Consider a smaller "vote" image.

Font size changes by page. Check your CSS.

Calendar: The page is actually a schedule of events. Consider renaming the page to events or schedule or something. Or develop a calendar.

Past Events: Nice gallery. Maybe add a caption to each image?

About: Exceptional content.

Contact: Consider replacing the email text with an image. Or develop a contact form.

Gray on black is hard to see in footer.

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate the constructive criticism with suggestions for improvement. Over the next few days I will be playing with different ideas and will post when I have updated everything.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.