good java book for a complete newb

dennismonsewicz

Can anyone recommend a good JAVA book for someone who doesn't know a whole lot about JAVA? I am a PHP/MySQL programmer but may have to learn some JAVA for an upcoming project. Any ideas?

Tks!

Is there something specific you should be learning?  There's a lot to learn and many components in the Java web environment.

well we are going to be using the CMS Liferay and it is built on the JAVA language. Although there are applets you can build for it such as PHP (which do not work with the most updated version of this CMS) and python... so i would have to be learning JAVA for not heavy development but for a "just in case" situation... I also need to learn python.

It's Java, not JAVA.

Read tutorials.  A lot of tutorials.  I can't say this with much meaning since I've never used Java for anything major, but I personally think Java is a very easy language to pick up if you have decent general-programming skills (logic mainly).  The Java documentation is awesome too.

So uhhh....  Just wondering, what have you tried to learn Java?

but I personally think Java is a very easy language to pick up if you have decent general-programming skills (logic mainly).

Java is relatively easy to pick up if you compare it to something like C.  Compared to PHP it's going to be difficult.  You're probably going to have to learn most of the J2EE if you're working with a CMS web application.

If the only thing you know is PHP, which is an extremely easy language to pick up, then you're going to want to study more so on classes and objects.  Learn and study the Liferay API.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.