[SOLVED] Sessions max amount of data

mapleleaf

So we are talking 8mb. That will be more than enough information to carry around on any of my users!

Any idea where the 4kb concept may have come from?

Perhaps my little brain just imagined it.  ???

More than likely you just imagined it.

Session data is stored in a file on your server. 8mb's is plenty per user and should not kill your diskspace, but let's be real. There is a slim chance you will ever break 100KB per user, unless your site is setup weird.

Maybe a cookie is 4kb, but that is stored on the user's machine. Session data is stored on your server.

So we are talking 8mb. That will be more than enough information to carry around on any of my users!

Any idea where the 4kb concept may have come from?

Perhaps my little brain just imagined it.  ???

I'm fairly sure that cookies can only hold 4KB of data, including the name.  You can also have only 20 cookies per server/domain.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.