[SOLVED] Query Was Empty Error PLEASE HELP!

GraphiX

When I execute the following code, there is an error before the table is echoed reading "Query was Empty", also no data is diaplayed in the table even though there are records in the database.

} else {
            $sql2 = "SELECT * FROM `forum_topics` WHERE `cid`='" . $row['id'] . "'";
            $res2 = mysql_query($sql2) or die(mysql_error());
            if (mysql_num_rows($res2) == 0) {
                echo "There no topics to display in this forum. <a href="./index.php?act=create&id=".$row['id']."">Click Here</a> to create one. ";
            } else {
                echo "<table border="0" cellspacing="3" cellpadding"3"> ";
                echo "<tr align="center"><td>Title</td><td>User</td><td>Date</td><td>Replies</td></tr> ";
                  while ($row2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($res2)) {
                   #$sql3 = "count(*) AS `num_replies` FROM `forum_replies WHERE `tid`='".$row2['id']."'";
                    #$res3 = mysql_query($sql3) or die(mysql_error());
                    #$row3 = mysql_fetch_assoc($res3);
                    echo "<tr><td><a href="index.php?act=topic&id=".$row2['id'].">".s($row2['title'])."</a></td><td>".uid($row2['uid'])."</td><td>".$row2['date']."</td><td>".$row3['num_replies'] . "</td></tr> ";
                }
                echo "</table> ";
            }
        }
    }
} else {
    echo "Please supply a catergory ID.";
}

?>

Hope you Can Help Me!

GraphiX

Well, one problem I do see with your code, as seen with syntax highlighting... Things like:

echo "There no topics to display in this forum. <a href="./index.php?act=create&id=".$row['id']."">Click Here</a> to create one. ";

You need to either use single quotes (I recommend) or escape the quotes

echo 'There no topics to display in this forum. <a href="./index.php?act=create&id='.$row['id'].'">Click Here</a> to create one. ';

See the difference above? You have that all over the place.

Well, one problem I do see with your code, as seen with syntax highlighting... Things like:

You need to either use single quotes (I recommend) or escape the quotes

echo 'There no topics to display in this forum. <a href="./index.php?act=create&id='.$row['id'].'">Click Here</a> to create one. ';

See the difference above? You have that all over the place.

I did escape my tags but when I posted the Board stripped the slashes on the code.

Well, you also changed your code after I posted. However, the forum shouldn't be strip slashes from your posts.

Nonetheless, make sure they are in there. Next step - what does the query echo out to? Can you run it in something like PHPMyAdmin?

echo $sql2;

Try replacing the code you posted with:

} else {
		echo $sql2; // Let's echo and see what it shows.
            $res2 = mysql_query($sql2) or die('Uh-oh, mysql error: '.mysql_error());
            if (mysql_num_rows($res2) == 0) {
            } else {
                echo '<table border="0" cellspacing="3" cellpadding"3"> ';
                echo '<tr align="center"><td>Title</td><td>User</td><td>Date</td><td>Replies</td></tr> ';
                  while ($row2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($res2)) {
                   #$sql3 = "count(*) AS `num_replies` FROM `forum_replies WHERE `tid`='".$row2['id']."'";
                    #$res3 = mysql_query($sql3) or die(mysql_error());
                    #$row3 = mysql_fetch_assoc($res3);
                    echo '<tr><td><a href="index.php?act=topic&id='.$row2['id'].'">'.s($row2['title']).'</a></td><td>'.uid($row2['uid']).'</td><td>'.$row2['date'].'</td><td>'.$row3['num_replies'] . '</td></tr> ';
                }
                echo '</table> ';
            }
        }
} else {
    echo 'Please supply a catergory ID.';
}

Returns This:

SELECT * FROM `forum_topics` WHERE `cid`='7'Query was empty [table][tr][td][table][tr][td]Title[/td][td]User[/td][td]Date[/td][td]Replies[/td][/tr][/table][/t]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Sorry if i'm a bit clueless but this bewilders me.

Change:

echo $sql2; // Let's echo and see what it shows.
            $res2 = mysql_query($sql2) or die('Uh-oh, mysql error: '.mysql_error());

to

$res2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `forum_topics` WHERE `cid`='" . $row['id'] . "'") or die('Uh-oh, mysql error: '.mysql_error());

When the query (With the varible set to 7) was entered into PHPmyAdmin it returned this

SELECT  *

FROM  `forum_topics`

WHERE  `cid`  =  '7';

And the result it should have.

I don't see why it won't work in my Script.

I know it is kind of stupid, the code looks fine so I am throwing this out there:

Are you sure you are connecting to the right database?

When the query (With the varible set to 7) was entered into PHPmyAdmin it returned this

SELECT  *

FROM  `forum_topics`

WHERE  `cid`  =  '7';

And the result it should have.

I don't see why it won't work in my Script.

I know it is kind of stupid, the code looks fine so I am throwing this out there:

Are you sure you are connecting to the right database?

Yeah, i'm pretty sure. I googled around a bit and most of these have ended up unsolved.

Well, now from where I see it this is pretty much hopeless, now that the SQl is actually in the mysql_query function, there are no variables to lose. I know the SQL syntax is ok, because PHPmyAdmin parsed it with no errors. the only thing that could be affecting it is the PHP syntax on the actual statement.

Any Suggestions?

(I'm off now for tonight, be back on tommorow.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.