Meeting Attendance

xionhack

Hello. I have to make a meeting attendance sheet. We have meetings every tuesday night and 3 meetings every saturday. How can I do the sql and the php, to save the meetings and take attendance of the people that went. I already have a table with all the member's info, but I'm missing the one for the service. Can somebody help me?! Thanks

Honestly, I dont know how to start the sql. Because the meetings are right now going to be forever, so I cannot save all those dates in the database, but also, if I have 400 members, I dont want to save all the data of the meeting with the members info in the same table. What should I do?

How is your member table structured?

Basic structure should be something like:

userIDName

1Joe

Then just create a new table (attendance), with userID and the meeting time/date.

When a member is no longer, you could prune them to save space, but I wouldn't worry about it.

OR, thinking about it, you could have one row per meeting - meeting time/date + imploded array of members (something like: 1,4,5,7,9...)

User table structure:

userIDNameAttendance

1Joe1,7,8,9,10,17,18

Now when clicking that a user was at the meeting just add a ,ID to the Attendance table. Make a attendance table like so:

meetingIDmeetingTIME

1unix_timestamp()

Then go through a call back via the code to display the user's or simply use a left join.

My problem is this. We have those meetings every week, so if I saved them in the table, there will be sooo many meeting days to be stored. I dont want to store them manually, but I want something to store them automatically. Also, I will have some special meeting dates during the year.

Honestly, this is what I would do:

Have a script automatically guess the date, based on when the last meeting. This field should still be editable, so you can override it if needed. Next, have a list of your members with a checkbox if they attended or not - have them all defaulted as checked, and just take off the ones you don't want. Or, going with the same lines, instead of checkboxes, use an ajax 'auto complete' field and you could just type the names of the people who didn't show up (this would probably be the quicker way when filling out attendance logs - but more labor intensive to setup.) Then, submit the form post it to your DB and you're set.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.