i want to become DBA

iphetamine

Hi, i want to learn sql really well and become MS SQL Server 2005 certified, by this Ill be able to develop and administer databases, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So what can I do to pace myself for learning it? I've been reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-relationship_model and http://www.tomjewett.com/dbdesign/dbdesign.php?page=intro.html to get started and understand the theory a bit. I also played around with MySQL using phpmyadmin (which was easier than typing everything console..).

So what do you guys think?

First off, MS SQL sucks, at least in my opinion. If you want to make big bucks in database administration, Oracle is the way to go. Although just to get oracle certified costs a pretty chunk of change. But once you are, the jobs you get make $100-200+k/year.

But you need to take some actual classes, unlike programming DB Classes actually help out. I took an Oracle class in College, and have not regretted it. Taught me a lot about SQL, I just wish I would have taken the next step oracle class that went more into proper sql query structure and more indepth DB structures.

I'm not an IT person, I'm a health professional and would seek a position in Informatics/Bioinformatics. so i need to know some basics of sql and databases. so i thought of getting MS certified too.

so what do you guys suggest be doing? books? online tuts? (no w3school plz :))

I personally feel you should be involved in at least some form of IT support or have a formal education in something computer related to even begin contemplating a career as a DBA.  At the very least a nice background in math and logic.

To start, saying MS SQL sucks with nothing to back is just ridiculous.  Some people may say the same about MySQL or Oracle, but each has its own market and in the end as the DBA you need to be proficient at database design and construction which doesn't necessarily rely on the platform. 

I do think that at least some form of a formal education is necessary, although some may be able to pull it off on their own, but those who can do that probably aren't asking on a PHP help forum where to start.

To start, saying MS SQL sucks with nothing to back is just ridiculous.  Some people may say the same about MySQL or Oracle, but each has its own market and in the end as the DBA you need to be proficient at database design and construction which doesn't necessarily rely on the platform. 

Yea, that was just bad wording. I should have worded it more of, MSSQL is not my preference to start learning SQL on. That was my bad with poor choice of words.  I just have had bad experiences with that in the past, so yea.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.