nerdiness forum

kaimason1

On a scale of zero to ten, how nerdy do you consider yourself?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of zero to ten, how nerdy do you consider yourself?

• 10 and up

although i know this is random, isn't that exactly what this board is for? anyway, anyone want to prove just how nerdy they can be? for example, i can give you guys a list of monty python quotes and i can tell you just about anything that has to do with star wars or star trek tng, all you need to do is prompt me.

I can configure CC-Link network using both Q System or FX master.

I don't even know what that means.

I would certainly hope so! If you did, it wouldn't be that nerdy, would it?

(And just to be clear: yes, this makes sense, and you can get money for that - but most of the time I do it for free)

Hrmmmm

Apparently "CC-Link is a high speed, high performance industrial network technology that enables devices from numerous manufacturers to communicate resulting in a fast, deterministic control system."

So, it basically is involved in your field of work.  I don't particularly consider that nerdy.

it depends... who the *beep* are Sideswipe and Sunstreaker??? ??? ??? For that matter, who is Skywarp?... well, I guess that proves you are a nerd... ::) there's a kid at my school who can name almost every Sonic the Hedgehog character, their gender, their birthday, every nation in the series and their leaders, along with every mentioned citizen. Top that.

I made my own database server............ Out of PHP in CLI.

I coded a system to change my desktop wallpaper with one in a MySQL databse, in such a way that all wallpapers are selected an equal number of times.

I have 4 servers in my room. 3 embedded ARM9/MIPS and one X86.

I rated myself a 10.

Chris

You've got stuff all over the place in the wrong order.  Even the sub-descriptions for each number don't match up properly.  You obviously did no research or followed any kind of accepted standard when throwing together that list.  We need to get a council together to sit down and draw up a proposal for a list that is both scalable and open-ended, to accommodate future additions, as well as retain backwards compatibility. 

Hrmmmm

Apparently "CC-Link is a high speed, high performance industrial network technology that enables devices from numerous manufacturers to communicate resulting in a fast, deterministic control system."

So, it basically is involved in your field of work.  I don't particularly consider that nerdy.

Oh you're no fun anymore!

Saying you're a CC-Link engineer is just as bad a pickup line as saying you're collecting blue soda cans.... so that's nerdy! :P

And besides... CC-Link is extremely popular in Japan and Asia in general, but rarely found in Europe... so that makes me equally nerdy with all those furry cosplay nerds.

Yeah...

You're right... I'm not nerdy at all... I'm just trying too hard...

:D

Programming skill and nerdiness do not positively correlate 100% of the time.

I completely agree. I like to think of my self as a good coder(more like a jack of all trades when it comes to web/network development) but I don't really consider my self a nerd. I know I defiantly don't look like a nerd with all of my tattoos and hair. Most people are really surprised, after first meeting me, that I even know what a computer is. I bet they expect someone like me to work in construction or something :)

I completely agree. I like to think of my self as a good coder(more like a jack of all trades when it comes to web/network development) but I don't really consider my self a nerd. I know I defiantly don't look like a nerd with all of my tattoos and hair. Most people are really surprised, after first meeting me, that I even know what a computer is. I bet they expect someone like me to work in construction or something :)

lol yeah I don't really look like the "computer" type, either.  Most people think I'm some mafia hitman. 

Hrmmmm

Oh you're no fun anymore!

Saying you're a CC-Link engineer is just as bad a pickup line as saying you're collecting blue soda cans.... so that's nerdy! :P

And besides... CC-Link is extremely popular in Japan and Asia in general, but rarely found in Europe... so that makes me equally nerdy with all those furry cosplay nerds.

Yeah...

You're right... I'm not nerdy at all... I'm just trying too hard...

:D

There are those darned assumptions again.  All, or even most, Asian people who manage CC-Link networks are furry cosplay nerds?

But yeah, that wouldn't exactly be a good pickup line ;p.

Programming skill and nerdiness do not positively correlate 100% of the time.

I look like a typical 16 year old...  I think.  lol.

Also, I definitely don't think programming skill correlates with nerdiness because what about the stuff people do when they're not programming?  I don't sit here and program all day, but I still like to think I'm atleast a decent programmer.  lol.

There are those darned assumptions again.  All, or even most, Asian people who manage CC-Link networks are furry cosplay nerds?

Erm... no... I was rather talking about geographical distribution of both... While cosplay seems to be very popular in Japan, you don't see too much of it in Europe... and if you do, you attach 'nerd' label to it :P

it depends... who the *beep* are Sideswipe and Sunstreaker??? ??? ??? For that matter, who is Skywarp?... well, I guess that proves you are a nerd... ::) there's a kid at my school who can name almost every Sonic the Hedgehog character, their gender, their birthday, every nation in the series and their leaders, along with every mentioned citizen. Top that.

*sigh* You kids today....

They were characters in the original Transformers cartoon/toyline of the 1980's.  You know... Optimus Prime?  Starscream?  Megatron?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CccbBwyDAdk

When I was a kid, the Transformers were more or less my religion, along with Voltron and Robotech.

They were characters in the original Transformers cartoon/toyline of the 1980's.  You know... Optimus Prime?  Starscream?  Megatron?

When I was a kid, the Transformers were more or less my religion, along with Voltron and Robotech.

I used to watch this cartoon on SKY I think, before I knew English good enough to understand it. Boy... this theme song is crappy! I loved it back then though.

lol yeah I don't really look like the "computer" type, either.  Most people think I'm some mafia hitman.

Wouldn't surprise me...  :ninja:

As for the kid at your school kaimason1, why in the world would he tell people that?  Weird.

I have no clue. I think he doesn't understand where the line is drawn between la-la land and reality.

You've got stuff all over the place in the wrong order.  Even the sub-descriptions for each number don't match up properly.  You obviously did no research or followed any kind of accepted standard when throwing together that list.  We need to get a council together to sit down and draw up a proposal for a list that is both scalable and open-ended, to accommodate future additions, as well as retain backwards compatibility. 

Sorry the poll isn't put together right. any suggestions about how to realign it? and by the way, corbin, I read that like he was serious. and understood it. weird.

sorry, i didn't know... ;)

Right on! All hail mighty Megatron!

I couldn't care less about Voltron or Robotech though.. but yeah, in my days, Tranformers was the shiznitz! (that along with the mighty 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega's Master System) My first Transformer was Wheeljack (followed by Optimus Prime). And no matter how hard I looked, I could never get Star Scream (Damn you , Hasbro! Damn you to hell!) :( Man, those were the days however! And Soundwave's voice was is still the coolest! I am so stoked for the sequel 'Revenge of the Fallen' this summer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.