Set up your own server

dreamwest

What would it take to set up my own server?

Apart from security issues in doing it , i still want to give it a go.

I have a couple of low traffic sites (300 - 400 visitors/day) that i can test it on

I have alot of content on my pay sites and will be seriously pissed if the host shut down or deleted my account because of high traffic load or some other clause. Ive had this before even on a vps - their reason too much bandwidth within a 2 hour period

Set up your own server where? You will still have bandwidth limits set by the provider and by how much bandwidth you are paying for.

VPS is your own server. The next step up is a dedicated server either located on your site (using your ISP's bandwidth) or collocated in a data center (using the amount of bandwidth you have leased from the data center.) Doing this would help with site performance issues, but does not directly have anything to do with exceeding bandwidth limits. If you have a dedicated server and repeatedly exceed the bandwidth limit you are paying for, your connection would be disabled as well.

You could find a host that doesn't shut you off when exceeding your bandwidth limit, but rather charges you an overage fee. I'm charged £0.25/GB for instance.

Just of curiosity, does it dynamically charge you up to X GB, or does it just keep on going?  What if you got Google bombed or the site were attacked or something?

@dreamwest:

As already mentioned, you would still have bandwidth problems.  You don't plan on hosting it at your house, do you?

"I have alot of content on my pay sites and will be seriously pissed if the host shut down or deleted my account because of high traffic load or some other clause. Ive had this before even on a vps - their reason too much bandwidth within a 2 hour period"

In a 2 hour period?  That's lame.

You could find a host that doesn't shut you off when exceeding your bandwidth limit, but rather charges you an overage fee. I'm charged £0.25/GB for instance.

Just of curiosity, does it dynamically charge you up to X GB, or does it just keep on going? What if you got Google bombed or the site were attacked or something?

I've got 450 GB/month, so if I one month use e.g. 1000 GB then I'll get charged (1000-450) * £.25 = £137.5 (ex VAT @ 15%). And of course, if I would happen to use ∞ GB then I'll get charged £∞. ;)

It will keep on going indefinitely, but it's likely that if I was DDoSed that they would suspend my account because it would use other resources as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.