[SOLVED] Im just starting to learn php and.....

pmwilson515

Im new to php, and i do not have a database to store secured files...

and that brings to me to, what is a good free database to use?is there such a thing as a free database that will secure my files...

what im trying to do is make a website for my father's friend, he owns a motorcycle shop and wants to spread his business to the internet...and I need to make an order form, I haven't started actually making anything yet so its not on the internet, but it should be shortly, but i don't really want to start without knowing what im doing using php and a database.

Sounds like MySQL would work perfectly for you.

There are of course other things though:

SQLite, PostgreSQL, flat files.

isn't MySql starting to charge for their services now?.... But I found Microsoft Sql 2005 Express, would that work?

I don't know where you heard that at. After all, on their website it boldly states at the top:

The world's most popular open source database

They do charge for support/enterprise features, but not for the normal everyday use edition ;)

MSSQL 2005 Express is free, but it has limit (2GB DB limit is quite large....).  Also, it won't run under any operating system that isn't a version of Windows.

(By the way, why would you choose 05 over 08?  Not saying one is better as I have no idea.  Just curious.)

Yeah there is - but it's a ridiculous number, like 4 billion rows (not limited by data size) per table. I don't think you'd really have to worry about that. :D

I'd seriously suggest looking into MySQL, it's one of the most popular database systems to use with PHP. If you ever get stuck using it, I doubt you'd run out of places to look for help

ok, well seeing as the storage size is awesome, i will be using MySQL then, i probably will be on here on a later date if i need help for coding, because as of now i know absolutely nothing about php other than its a server-siding scripting langauge, and its used with a database, is there anything else i will need for making an order form? i already have adobe cs3 for all ther other needs of making the order form, i as of now have the MySQL installer which will be installed on the computer i will be using along with the php installer just in case its not already installed...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.