[SOLVED] random number generator

dadamssg

im looking for a way to produce a random string of numbers and letters to use in a confirm membership script. what php function could i use to accomplish this? im going to put the random string in my db and then send it through a url through an email. When they click on it im going to write a script that will check to see if the variable in the url match with the db and confirm them if so. thanks

im looking for a way to produce a random string of numbers and letters to use in a confirm membership script. what php function could i use to accomplish this? im going to put the random string in my db and then send it through a url through an email. When they click on it im going to write a script that will check to see if the variable in the url match with the db and confirm them if so. thanks

I wrote one of these recently, and there was very little involved.  My code did check in the database to make sure that the string hadn't been allocated previously, but that is something you will have to code for yourself.  This simple function does the work of generating a random string.  I also didn't want the first character to be a zero, so I have a little code to prevent that, but you could obviously omit that if you wanted.  As you can see, it's pretty simple stuff and just does a few ascii lookups in combination with rand().

This is nothing you couldn't write yourself or modify to your liking.  For my purposes i wanted a string that had numbers and letters.

public function generateInviteCode($charnum =  {
        $invitecode = null;
        $startrange = 1;
        for ($x = 0; $x             $rand = rand(0, 61);
            if ($rand                 $invitecode .= $rand;
            else if ($rand                 $invitecode .= chr($rand + 55);
            } else {
                $invitecode .= chr($rand + 61);
            }
        }
        // on first character, don't allow a zero
        if ($invitecode[0] == '0')
            $invitecode[0] = rand(1, 9);
        return $invitecode;
}

BTW, you might ask why not use the SHA or MD5 versions above.  If you want to take that approach I have no complaint with doing so but it does have these drawbacks. 

-Those hash functions are computationally expensive. 

-The hashes themselves are very long (36 or 40 characters depending on which you choose).

If you want something shorter, you might want to consider the approach I outlined.  The function can actually create whatever size string you want, but you could start producing collisions if it was too short.  6-8 characters provides a nice compromise. 

I wonder just what makes it more secure?

Nothing....just another way to do it :)

Exactly. Security has nothing to do here.

A varchar of 40 should be fine for SHA1

char(40) would actualy be better, since we know all strings will have exactly 40 characters. This will save a byte or two per row.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.