Too Many Apache Connections

The Little Guy

What's the big deal? I thought you had "unlimited"...

That was bandwidth... ;)

But... If I upgrade to a Private server, I get Unlimited Connections (Or what every Apache can handle).

And so far for 5 days

I have used this much: 508012.864 MB 

This much per day: 101602.573 MB 

And estimate of this much at the end of the month: 3149679.757 MB 

There is no such thing as unlimited anything, and anyone who claims to offer unlimited anything are overselling by the definition that overselling constitutes selling more than you have.

Let x be DreamHost's hard disk capacity/bandwidth/requests, and let y be the amount they are selling. To satisfy the "not overselling condition" then [tex]x\geq y[/tex]

[tex]\forall{x\in\mathbb{R}}, x<\infty[/tex]

[tex]y = \infty \Rightarrow x < y[/tex]

[tex]\therefore[/tex] DreamHost is overselling. QED.

Anyone who thinks otherwise fails at math.

I've said it before, and now I'll say it again. Do business with an honest host that makes it clear exactly how much you are and are not allowed to use.

but in anycase, the problem sounds like you need to think about the site design.. do you even have cacheing ?

I want to, But I don't know how to add it.

And the home page rarely gets accessed (compared to: "/guest_images/.....").

It is access from all my saved images.

I have had 150,000 requests from there in 14 hours.

Shared hosting is meant for small sites. Any image hosting site is going to need space and bandwidth and connections to beat.

You are going to have to dish out money or monitor the images dished out. If you want the site to pay, add ad's and or ask for donations.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.