Personal site, completely PHP based

jsschmitt

What is the point of this site?  It's a CLI for uploading images in a web browser...

- When you try to delete a picture it throws an error.

- There's no way to tell what the commands are if you've never been there before, even if you have it's impossible.

- JPG files load really slow.

At least it passes Mysql inject me.  ;D

What is the point of this site?  It's a CLI for uploading images in a web browser...

- There's no way to tell what the commands are if you've never been there before, even if you have it's impossible.

I don't get it either. At least put some help on there or buttons for the commands.

As stated... it's a personal site. My php playground... I know that the delete doesn't work, and I am currently working on that, and as to the inability to tell what commands area available, I am modifying that now...

As stated... it's a personal site. My php playground... I know that the delete doesn't work, and I am currently working on that, and as to the inability to tell what commands area available, I am modifying that now...

If it's a personal, i.e., not for public consumption site, then what does it matter what we think?  I mean, if you want us to critique your code, then post it.  Otherwise, like others have said, what's the point?

I will say this - the 'design' reminds me of the worst of the Flash-based sites I've seen (yes, yes, I know yours is PHP).  Despite what some developers think, most users don't like to interact with a mysterious, limited CLI.  It's not clever, it's not exciting.  When I first saw your site, my immediate instinct was to close the tab.  As a learning exercise it may have value, but it's not something most users would want.

It would be cool if you implemented a file system and used bash commands to allow people to navigate through and manipulate files. 

It's hard to come up with suggestions because this is the reason we "advanced" from CLI and use GUI, it makes it much easier for the average user to find their way through.  The CLI, IMO, would just be a part/section of the entire site.

I mean it's cool, don't get me wrong, just very limited.

I can see the attraction to this kind of personal project - something unique and interesting to code - but like a lot of people have said it's just too limited. Also you're combining the CLI and GUI in an awkward way that makes using it not very smooth!

For this kind of thing I'd probably try and match *NIX commands. I use a Unix CLI at work a lot and once you're used to it's easy, definitely does speed you up.

Why not keep the command history in view? User access and accounts? "VIM" style editing?

Adam

Ok... the delete button works now.

As per the suggestions, I completely understand where you are all coming from, and appreciate the ideas.

I am definitely thinking about adding more GUI to it, and keep the CLI as an option...

I've long had a fascination with re-creating a desktop on a website... and that is my eventual plans...

I couldn't find the form, I had to click everywhere until I finally hit the input form. Maybe try selecting using javascript onload?

It's right next to where it says, "Enter Command"...

I couldn't find the form, I had to click everywhere until I finally hit the input form. Maybe try selecting using javascript onload?

It's right next to where it says, "Enter Command"...

Thank you for telling him, plus, it already is selected onload...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.