[SOLVED] data output from function

Q695

Since I'll be pulling a lot of data on sites (occasionally repeatedly), I was wondering what I'm doing wrong to not cause the function to output $u_row:

function user_info($id, $con){
$sql="SELECT * FROM players WHERE id='$id';";
$result=@mysql_query($sql, $con) or die(death($sql));
//get the results
$u_row=mysql_fetch_array($result);
}

You can do that. Or you can echo out whatever you want. It'll still echo something out as needed if you are calling the function directly. You can also throw a return true in there if you want.

What I would do is if you want it to echo then echo it but also return it. That way if you use the function "with" a variable it'll still return the variable.

Better yet do both. Add a parameter and set it to true by default..that way if it's true it echo's if it's false then stop the echo and perform a normal return.

You can do that. Or you can echo out whatever you want. It'll still echo something out as needed if you are calling the function directly. You can also throw a return true in there if you want.

What I would do is if you want it to echo then echo it but also return it. That way if you use the function "with" a variable it'll still return the variable.

Better yet do both. Add a parameter and set it to true by default..that way if it's true it echo's if it's false then stop the echo and perform a normal return.

This would work, but I wouldnt recommend it. If you wanted to show the output of a function you can just do this:

echo mycoolfunction();

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.