New Website Design

twilightnights

Hi guys, please critique http://www.bloodylexicon.com for me.  In general I am looking for comments on the banner, layout and content placement.

Right now the content is lacking because it is still in development.  The front page is kind of bare right now, and I am looking on ways to improve, perhaps with a news feed of some sort.  Any ideas on useful plugins that would be helpful?

Any constructive feedback in appreciated.

Thanks!

I think it's workable.

- Center the entire site.

- Maybe a little more red (vampires) and a little less yellow.

- Move your left nav up, it's pushed down.

- The header has nothing to do with the theme of the site.  You have vampire, ghosts, zombies and werewolfs with a banner that has smoke towers, buildings and a sunset.  IMO, it just doesn't fit.

- I like the background images for the vampire lore, ghost lore etc...

- Overall I think it's decent, a couple tweaks here and there and it should be fine.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback.  Is there a very simple way to center the entire site within CSS?  I have tried looking into this but I didn't see an easy way to do it.  I agree that the theme may seem a little strange.  The original title of the website was going to be vampirenation so the banner fit it better, but the domain was taken and I decided to expand it to deal with many of the different genres related to it.  I think it still fits, it kinda shows the whole macabre thing interacting with society, but maybe it could use some work.  I am trying to avoid the whole cliche red and black thing so it doesn't look clichie? ^ ^

The original title of the website was going to be vampirenation so the banner fit it better, but the domain was taken and I decided to expand it to deal with many of the different genres related to it.  I think it still fits, it kinda shows the whole macabre thing interacting with society, but maybe it could use some work.  I am trying to avoid the whole cliche red and black thing so it doesn't look clichie? ^ ^

I see.  Anyway, that's just my opinion, I'm not one with a great sense of style and design skills anyway.

I definitely see where it would be a stretch and I appreciate your feedback.  You don't have to be a pro web designer to give feedback, sometimes its better to get it from those who are not, because they will be the type of people that actually navigate your site. 

Does anyone know the easiest way to center the entire site?

Quite like it, correct tags used in most places. (Could use an ol for numbered lists)

Nice colors usage, though the contrast of the links and background is a bit low.. but I guess that goes with the type of the site :)

Might set width and heights for the images btw.

If you could make a liquid design out of it (100% width) I'd be really impressed, but I guess that might be a bit hard to do with that image at the top.

Quite like it, correct tags used in most places. (Could use an ol for numbered lists)

Nice colors usage, though the contrast of the links and background is a bit low.. but I guess that goes with the type of the site :)

Might set width and heights for the images btw.

If you could make a liquid design out of it (100% width) I'd be really impressed, but I guess that might be a bit hard to do with that image at the top.

thanks, I'm still working on it so I am not really sure what stage you saw it at.  I like the way it looks right now in firefox but there are some issues in IE that I am trying to fix, such as it won't resize very nicely in IE and the footer is having some problems.

Any comments on http://bloodylexicon.com/list.php ? Like the css boxes for each type or no?

You may want to use

<dl>/<dd>/<dt> tags as you're explaining a definition, could still use the <blockquotes> inside them. (I think, then again blockquotes are blockitems, not sure they're allowed in there.. you might want to make a testcase and try validating it before putting it to work)

Seems like you made some minor visual improvements since last time, nice ones even :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.