IE in windows 7 beta

Derleek

I disagree - I don't believe IE7 complies with the box model. A while ago on my site, I had a relatively positioned "container" and an absolutely positioned div which displays at the top, in the middle on anything that isn't IE (not including 8).

Because the container is relative, the box model states that the absolute div should be contained within its parent. However, with IE6/7 this is not the case. It displays outside of the box off to the right of the screen. I don't think that's particularly compliant...

hmm... that's interesting. Do you have a link to a demo page of this bug? I never had a problem with absolute positioning.

Xhtml isn't fully supported by IE7.

It doesn't support it at all. Of course it "supports" all the pseudo-XHTML a lot of people are using that's in reality HTML, but that doesn't count. Try it out yourself and determine if it even partially supports XHTML.

Although its unfortunate, php/javascript could be easily used to take the raw xhtml and convert it to nicely formatted/looking html. Raw xhtml doesn't look very pretty in a typical browser.

I think you're confusing stuff. XHTML will look like HTML if the browser supports it, and "raw XHTML" doesn't make sense. What's that supposed to mean?

http://www.jackpf.co.uk/beta.php

The title of each page (ie "Index", "Forum", "Profile" etc...) at the top of each page, underneath the header bar. My conditional IE statements only appear in your source code if you actually use IE (UA sniffing, I know I shouldn't do it :P)

So yeah, if you remove my conditional IE statements in IE7, you'll see that it goes off to the right.

It's weird as well, because it doesn't do it to all of the titles (on different pages etc). Only most of them, and they're all the same class. So I just came to the conclusion that IE7 doesn't understand absolute positioning, or the box model.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.