to captcha or not to captcha? that is my question

dadamssg

ive programmed a confirmation email to get sent when a user registers an account. Should i ALSO take the time to design a captcha when they are registering? is the confirmation email enough? what do you guys think? i hear of programs that create users continually and don't want that to happen

I personally find captcha quite annoying.

If you're planning on distributing this application, then I think you should have the option to turn it on or off.

However, if you're using it yourself, I'd personally make some captcha code, but only use it if you start getting spammed.

Yeah. Well...I say captcha is annoying...but I can see why people would use it. The captcha I really do find annoying is when it's so obscure a human couldn't read it, let alone a program.

But yeah, I reckon the option to turn it on/off is the best method.

different question: how important is making the captcha letters stretched or have a wierd spotty or striped image on top of it? i get realllll annoyed with those captchas you can't freakin read too. Should i even worry about it being not normal looking and just have it plain text? your thoughts?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.