Selling a domain for the first time

proggR

I recently bought sirhostalot.com because I was/am considering starting a small  vps business. I realized that right now I can't afford the startup costs and don't have the time to invest so Im putting it off. Then I started thinking that sirhostalot may be worth something since it is a .com and has a memorable name.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience selling domains. Where should I start? I've posted it on ebay and made a basic index (which I have to add a link to the eBay listing to). What other steps can I take to get the attention of potential buyers. Also where can i cheaply and accurately get the domain appraised? I had it "appraised" for a little more than $10000 on a free site but I'd like to hear it from a few other places first.

I'm not too concerned if I don't sell it because I wouldn't mind using it later on but money would be useful right now.

Anyway. Let me know if you have any advice for me.

Thanks in advance.

No idea where to advertise.

As for price, that will depend on people.

It really comes down to what you're willing to sell it for.  If the demand is low, you will of course have to settle for a low price if you're in a hurry to sell it.

I assumed 10,000 was a bit of an overestimate :P

I have it posted on eBay right now for $2500 which is a little less outlandish. I bumped into sero a fee days ago and didn't want to pay to list it but I guess if I paid to put it on eBay I may as well try where I'm more likely to get a sale. I'll give it a try when the auction's finished and post an update if I do make a sale.

On the hosting side of things, I'm thinking of putting together a business proposal and trying to get a small business grant. I'm thinking if I list enough benefits to the local community I may get something. Does anyone think $80/month for 200gb hdd and 1-1.5gb space on a vps is a fair price. I haven't decided on bandwidth limits yet because I haven't decided on a providor so I don't know what I'd have available to work with. What kind of Internet would you recomend for a small vps company?   

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.