Efficient high-powered LIVE chat

Kitkat

Hey guys, I'm trying to create an _LIVE_ chatbox for my website along with a friend's website. I've created one before but our host contacted us and had it taken down because it was consuming too much bandwidth and was slowing down the server.

What I was doing was simply running a script that pulled down new messages every half a second - yes, that was probably much too fast, but I wanted it to be as "live" as possible. What I'm asking is, has anybody else here created a truly live chat, and if so (or even if not), how is it possible? I've heard things about persistent connections but I don't know anything about them beyond that. Basically what I want to create is a live chat script that I can later edit to support multiple channels given that there may be up to a few hundred users on at a time.

no, set up a server.. I released an opensource server script that you can turn your home computer into a server.. then simply start the server, and handle the connections and when sum1 sends a message, send it to the user associated with that message..

E.G.

MSG UserName/Channel TI:ME:ST-A/M/P MSG TO SEND

then just send it to them via their connection

http://lovinglori.com/newServer.phps

just pull down text and it should be ok to pull dowqn every milisecond if you like.

1000 requests a second per user should be ok?

yeh why not lol

Are you serious?

not realy but im sure you can send text throgh ajax and receive it if you do it smart enogh without problems, how do you think javascript IM forum does it.

Ah, thanks for all the replies everyone.

To answer a few questions - yes, I would imagine every second would be fine, but apparently my host thinks differently. I'm also tempted to set up my own server but I'm afraid my internet speed isn't quite good enough for the job.

I'll check out the links. Do you know if they can be integrated in with my current membership base?

Ah, thanks for all the replies everyone.

To answer a few questions - yes, I would imagine every second would be fine, but apparently my host thinks differently. I'm also tempted to set up my own server but I'm afraid my internet speed isn't quite good enough for the job.

I'll check out the links. Do you know if they can be integrated in with my current membership base?

iif its coded in php then it can be adapted to any php app.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.