username/pwd protection

gangsterwanster1

well depends how many ppl you want to be able to login.  If it's just for 1-2 admin users or something you can easily store the correct username/password in a php file:

<?php

$user = "some";

$pass = md5("thing");

?>

or similar and the access file fopen()/include().

If it's for more people you could store in an xml file maybe and access with AJAX?

Safest way would be to always access it via an include and locate the file itself outside of your webdirectory and do something to the passwords themselves like a salted md5 hash

Ok, i have another question.

So say i make a php installer where the user picks his or her username, then the installer writes the hashed pwd in members.html, what should i do so that my code below reads members.html (where the hashes pwd / user is) and login based on those credentials?

<table width="300" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
<tr>
<form name="form1" method="post" action="checklogin.php">
<td>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<tr>
<td colspan="3"><strong>Member Login </strong></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="78">Username</td>
<td width="6">:</td>
<td width="294"><input name="myusername" type="text" id="myusername"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Password</td>
<td>:</td>
<td><input name="mypassword" type="text" id="mypassword"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td> </td>
<td> </td>
<td><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Login"></td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</form>
</tr>
</table>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.