WTF - HTML5!

jcombs_31

Just reading up on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_5

Looks like a big change.

audio tags! video tags!  All it's missing is a flash tag.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/previewofhtml5

Surely all HTML5 can do is present data?

I wouldn't expect it to do anything else.  All they've done is dropped some tags and added some tags.  Looks a lot cleaner to me.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/previewofhtml5

I can read between the lines and they are trying to say html5 opens new features for web based applications, but in reality the article is pretty damn lame and they don't have a clue. We're always going to deal with inconsistencies between browsers and platforms and I don't think that is ever going to go away.  I personally don't feel web based applications will ever fully take over desktop applications. Most of the time I prefer to use a desktop application.  They both have their place.

Looks XMLish. I like.

Looks SGMLish ;)

I personally don't feel web based applications will ever fully take over desktop applications. Most of the time I prefer to use a desktop application.

I'm not too much into this cloud computing either. What if the company storing your shit goes bankrupt?

I think the overall point is that the idea is to move towards cloud computing, where users' computers will no longer be standalone entities communicating with each other, but little more than dummy terminals interfacing with servers.  Which is what cloud computing pretty much is.  So the point is that when your computer is little more than a dummy terminal, the OS wouldn't really be an important factor anymore.  The browser itself would for all intents and purposes be the OS.  HTML5 would be the part of the browser that marks up the page, yes, but I believe they are talking about adding tags to specify components etc.. to be run in the browser.

For example, a flash object.  HTML doesn't "run" a flash object.  It has a set of tags you use, with attribs/params you use to specify how you want the flash object to run.  I believe that the intention is that HTML5 will provide similar structures for upcoming cloud computing "components." 

For example, being able to display a 500x300 area on the page where you can edit something or other via notepad (or generic text editing program. Probably not the best example, but work with me here). The notepad program would be on the server computer.  You would use HTML5 to do for example (I'm totally pulling this structure out my ass, I have no idea what it will really look like, but its the principle that matters):

<imbed object="notepad" width="500" height="300">

In reality it will probably be more complicated, but hopefully you get the idea.  HTML5 isn't "running" it. It's just providing you a means to specify parameters etc... like anything else.

Only other way I can explain it is to think about the concept of AJAX.  You use html to specify divs and give them ids etc.. but you use js to put the stuff in that specified place.  Then you'd also use js to talk to the server in "real time" which runs the program(s) on the server. 

For example, being able to display a 500x300 area on the page where you can edit something or other via notepad (or generic text editing program. Probably not the best example, but work with me here). The notepad program would be on the server computer.  You would use HTML5 to do for example (I'm totally pulling this structure out my ass, I have no idea what it will really look like, but its the principle that matters):

It would look like this:

https://bespin.mozilla.com/

You still need an OS.  There must be a layer between the software and the hardware.

Right.  But there's a whole lot of other stuff involved in an OS because the software is on the computer and runs withing the OS.  If all files and programs were moved and run off a central location, that would slice away most of what current OS's are.  They would literally run in the background without an interface.  The browser would be the interface.  Think of it in terms of how cellphones are right now.  They have very little storage space, limited software.  The average user cannot directly access the OS running it. 

I'm not too much into this cloud computing either. What if the company storing your shit goes bankrupt?

I don't think that's going to be an issue.  I mean for one thing, I don't think cloud computing will catch on in the first place unless that issue was non-existent.  So how would they make that issue non-existent?  By not allowing just any company under the sun be a "cloud".  I think what will more than likely happen is a company would have to meet a whole lot of standards and jump through a whole lot of hoops to do that to begin with.  Like for instance, being a registrar.  Or one of those companies that make SSL certificates.  Not so easy. 

So I think what will happen is that there will only be a handful of companies that actually run the servers etc.. and then other companies will act as vendors to it. 

It would look like this:

https://bespin.mozilla.com/

Was scrolling down to post that one :)

audio tags! video tags!  All it's missing is a flash tag.

Who needs flash? Canvas seems to be pretty close to magic for interfaces.. and for fancy animations you can some pretty impressive things with javascript/svg (it's fun to play around with svg/javascript btw as current support in non-ie browsers is pretty good)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.