Please provide a critique

mark110384

Clean and simple. Easy to navigate.

Just a note that some of your pages like disclaimer, legal information, contact and location from the sitemap are automatically blocked by popup blockers. May want to look at your javascript or an alternate method to display the info.

It is indeed clean and organized.

- I definitely agree with neil about the Disclaimer / legal Information.. I would instead create another page in your site that contains this info and go to that page instead (as you have done with the sitemap).

- Your css doesn't validate.

- Your home page could use some image file size reductions. Using Yahoo's smushit!, you can shave off ~21.76 KB). I would go through the pages and see what can be trimmed down.

- I would make the DPM logo in the header a link to the home page (I'm guilty of not doing this either.. but it is a good idea, as most people expect this).

- You shoudn't need to use a table for your sign in. Nor should you need a table for your Charts/Publications content.

The LABEL element is used to specify labels for controls that do not have implicit labels,

Attribute definitions

for = idref [CS]

This attribute explicitly associates the label being defined with another control. When present, the value of this attribute must be the same as the value of the id attribute of some other control in the same document. When absent, the label being defined is associated with the element's contents.

In short, if you got a form element requiring accompanying text <label> is the tag you want to use, with the for attribute set to the id of the element it is accompanying.

Why use a <p> for an address when they made an <address> tag?

I'd link to the validating pages in the footer with the valid xhtml/css links or remove them completely as without any explanation is bound to confuse some.

Continueing with the footer, the links are a list (<ul><li>) (same with the links at the top/header)

http://www.lilleyandgillie.co.uk/2009/new_dpm/images/mission-statement.png

Q1) Why is that an image including the text on it.

Q2) Why is its alt text simply "Mission statement".

Q3) Why is it downscaled via HTML instead of supplying an appropriately sized image?

http://www.lilleyandgillie.co.uk/2009/new_dpm/services/services.html

Why do I have to google the text on the images myself to see if it the 'seal' actually holds any value? I suggest adding links to those via an imagemap

http://www.lilleyandgillie.co.uk/2009/new_dpm/digital/digital-products.html

You might want to use a definition list there (<dl><dt><dd>), might do your search engine rating some good. Or at least use <strong> instead of <b> if that bit of text is more important than the rest.

http://www.lilleyandgillie.co.uk/2009/new_dpm/contact/contact.html

earlier mentioned <address> and <label> tags, but that's not why I link it, the button looks odd to me (using Firefox 3.0.10 under linux), the text is appearing under the bullet image.

Although the animated favicon is a nice touch I experience it as annoying. Other than that nicely done though :)

Maybe make the menu on the left so that the entire thing highlighting the background is clickable? Noticed using hovers for a link while not actually being on the clicking part confuses some surfers.

IMO, I think your contact page php code should check to see if all appropriate fields are completed only once the submit button has been pressed.  Otherwise you get this annoying popup every time a new field is selected (if one is temporarily skipped).

- "Username" & "Password" text fields bleed into the main container.  (FF3 Ubuntu)

- The top right nav has a line break that goes into the main container again, looks awkward.

- Contact form is also bleeding (see attachment)

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.