Session question

dreamwest

OK ive sucessfully transfered all my cookie code to sessions, but how long will they last by default?, i want to make them last about 6 months if possible, heres what ive done

if (!isset($_SESSION['cinema'])){
$_SESSION['cinema']='off'; //how long will this last
}

Also i cant seem to echo the session id

if (!isset($_SESSION['cinema'])){
$_SESSION['cinema']='off'; //how long will this last
}

echo SID ;

A session is intended to be last for 1 browser session, which is where the name comes from. By default it ends when the browser closes because the session cookie has a default lifetime of zero.

To extend a session beyond this, you must both extend the session cookie lifetime and extend the session.gc_maxlifetime by the same amount (because a session consists of two parts, the session id from the client and the session data on the server.) If your session data files are in the default tmp location on a shared web server, you must also change the session.save_path to be to a private folder within your account's folder tree so that your session.gc_maxlifetime setting will apply to your session data files (when in the shared tmp location, the shortest session.gc_maxlifetime setting of all the accounts wins.) You must set all the mentioned values before every session_start() statement. Globally putting them into the master php.ini is best, but a .htaccess file (when php is running as an Apache module), a local php.ini (when php is running as a CGI application), or even in your script is OK.

If you are doing this for something like a "remember me" login function, it is much simpler to use a cookie that holds a unique identifier to identify your visitor.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.