Micosoft's Bing commercial :/

nrg_alpha

What the hell? That was one of the most weird adverts i've seen in a while. So the economic crisis is because people can't find the information they want? Riiiight.

Also 'bing!' sounded very...childish? That sound bite alone would put me off :s

I think MS has to really take a step back, and reevaluate what drives their marketing, and the choices they make. This feels akin to the commercials with Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld. Marketing dollars well wasted (at least, from how I perceive those commercials - From what I've read, the public at large didn't care for them either). Whatever decisions with whichever internal marketing department / external marketing firm(s) isn't working IMO. I just can't understand how MS can continue to sign on with that stuff  :-\

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in marketing meetings concerning these kind of things, just to see what ideas is being thrown around.. how qualified these people (be it internal or not) actually are. Whether you like the Apple commercials or not, I don't think many people would dispute that those commercials are better off than Microsoft's. I just can't understand the general direction / marketing choices MS is making.

I think it's because MS has gotten too big.  Imagine a totem pole with 1000 levels and there's like 800 levels above marketing and anybody on any of those 800 levels can be like "I wanna see this" and they have to do it because they're one of the million "bosses" in the company, even if the "boss" doesn't know a gd thing about marketing.

I mean come on I kind of find it hard to believe that a company who revenues billions of dollars cannot afford a decent marketing dept.  That makes no sense.  What does make sense is internally some idiot upper management wanting to waste the money they spend on said marketing dept to push their own idea of what's cool.

If I hadn't read this topic prior to watching that, I would have absolutely no idea what it's even about.

I loled at the flash of that disabled guy though. It's like subliminal images of disabled people...idk, like trying to make us feel bad or something so we go and buy a PC? Who knows what Mr. Bill Gates is up to...

MS just keeps putting itself down the hole in its marketing. I agree with nrg, they really do need to reevaluate their whole marketing department.

Also 'bing!' sounded very...childish? That sound bite alone would put me off :s

If that bing sound sticks around, I'm going to shoot whoever came up with it.

Also 'bing!' sounded very...childish?

I don't know. Is it more childish than all the typo names? Flickr, Digg, Reddit, Google etc. All of those seem to be doing pretty well.

The name is short, easy to remember, type and pronounce.

Also 'bing!' sounded very...childish?

I don't know. Is it more childish than all the typo names? Flickr, Digg, Reddit, Google etc. All of those seem to be doing pretty well.

The name is short, easy to remember, type and pronounce.

I'm not particularly disputing the name (though i don't particularly like it), it's more the pronunciation...

maybe it's supposed to be a  sound one might associate with the proverbial light turning on in their head. 

"<BING!> I just had a brilliant idea!"

or perhaps the sound of the buzzer/bell being hit by the contestant on a game show when they know the answer.

game show host: "what is the.."

contestant 1: [hits buzzer] <BING!>

game show host: "yes contestant 1?"

If I hadn't read this topic prior to watching that, I would have absolutely no idea what it's even about.

*nods*

If I didn't already know what it was yet it sure wouldn't have interested me enough to figure out what it's about.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.