iPod repair site.. any critiques/comments appreciated!

ethan6

Can't you go to an ipod store and get your ipod fixed for free or something? Maybe I'm having it confused with something else, but they do come under warranty? So the site is for people who have ipods that are no longer under warranty?

Yes warranty is only 1 years, which is the minimum for any hardware, also not everything is covered by warranty, (ie improper use), however I don't think that's useful feed back,

So, I think the black text on the dark grey parts is hard to read also the text in the green bars..

as a whole it seams too dark.

either that or I need glasses,

thanks for the replies..

First, most problems people have with iPods (ie. screen broken because somebody dropped it) are not covered by apple, so there actually is quite a large market for people needing repairs outside of Apple's warranty.

As for the darkness of the site, I have been considering lightening things up.  Are you referring mainly to the page at http://myipodbroke.com/repair_info.php which has a black background?  I think it may make sense have the green side bars fade to white or grey instead of the black as well--would this help the "darkness" of it?

Thanks again, and i'd love more feedback as well!

Uff, is that comic sans in the search bar? "Comic Sans MS,Arial Black,Arial,Georgia" .. yes it is.

#1 rule of website sign, never ever use comic sans.. unless you're like floating text in position over a comic background, as for anything else it just makes the site seems ameteuristic.

In general for a consistent crossbrowser experience I'd advice to set a background-color/foreground color border style/color/thickth if you style them in any other way than their width.

Okay now no holding back.

[*]You did not declare a doctype (google it)

[*]You do not have a <html> opening or closing (</html>) tag.

[*]<myipodbroke.com> Now you're just making up tags.. this is not XML, this is HTML! (Or well actually it isn't without a doctype and <html> tag.. it's gibberish your browser might accidentally render properly)

[*]<font> has been depecrated since HTML 4.01! Use CSS instead! (in combination with a <span> tag if you need to change it somewhere during the flow of text)

[*]<center> like <font> ahs been deprecated since HTML 4.01! Google text-align: center; or margin: 0 auto; for CSS alternatives (depending on what needs centering) (Think HTML 4.01 has been out since 1999, so that are 2 tags you shouldn't be using for 10 years now)

[*]Tables shouldn't be used for layout but for tabular data.

[*]<fieldsets> are for grouping form elements. Not to spice up the layout of a table.. again use CSS

[*]Keywords are ignored by most search engines, and by those who with the amount you got and the repitition of the word 'ipod' in there they most likely do a whole lot more harm than good

Personally I don't like the looks either, I'd go for a design more similar to that of apple.com as they always do an awesome job on anything visual and people will probably have have more trust in a site that looks alike

i would change the banner, its very... childish? it reminds me of Nickelodeon slime stuff i watched when i was a kid, and i wouldn't want to a send my expensive ipod to someone childish. In fact i would get rid of the green altogether. I go with the gray and white colors of the itunes site. So people relate it to their ipod.

I avoid dark sites in general. It makes visitors uncomfortable and it seems unprofessional.

It's such a shame, because you have such a catchy URL / site name, and the site itself does it no justice.

Hire a professional to do it for you, you will make a positive ROI and make more profit than you will with the current design.

I think the problem is Apple design very good looking, clean products. Your design is none of these, and if I were a customer I would be totally put of by this.

Before I start, I am not going to hold back, please take my points constructively, here is my critique:

- For favicon isn't very appealing, I wouldn't want it sitting in my bookmark bar

- Colour scheme is wrong, colours do not compliment each other (doesn't compliment the product either)

- This isn't a personal site, take your twitter off of it

- Try not to use flash to select your iPod, some people have it turned off plus scrolling through the range takes more time than select an ipod from a table of images.

- The font's are wrong, comic sans (as mentioned before) is a big no no for a professional site

- Your header / links are images, and the have no alt tags, this will screw accessibility, especially for screen readers.

- I don't care what the date is, I have a clock on my task bar.

- I don't care how many visits you have, most of them are probably search engine crawls and meaningless.

- Don't use scrolling test, it doesn't work and detracts attention from your main content.

- I already assume you accept all the major credit cards, I would remove the image from your site.

- Why are some of your pages PHP and some of the HTML, keep them all the same for consistency.

- Your HTML source is really messed up.

I am going to stop there, mainly because my lunch break is almost over.

You should strongly consider hiring a web designer, I am sure that if you have a good business model you will gain more sales, more profits and you will spend less time worrying about the design.

Regards,

Ben

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.