[SOLVED] Braking a string...

cleibesouza

I need to brake a string after every 90th char. but it can't brake the word, only brake if it's a space. So, it needs to count chars and figure out if the 90th char is a space. If yes, brake it there, if not brake it on the space before the 90th char and keep doing the same processing until the end of the string. The string will always be outputted entirely but in chunks of 90 char. 

Thanks for any help.

Where str1 i= 'Advanced Training Institute for Mental Health Professional Evidence-based Mental Health Treatment of Traumatized A Seinfeldian Model of Ethical Reasoning: Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer Teach Aspirational Ethics Psychiatric Emergencies: Best Practices in the Assessment and Management of the Patient in Crisis'

Something like this should work:

$string = 'Advanced Training Institute for Mental Health Professional Evidence-based Mental Health Treatment of Traumatized A Seinfeldian Model of Ethical Reasoning: Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer Teach Aspirational Ethics Psychiatric Emergencies: Best Practices in the Assessment and Management of the Patient in Crisis';
$split = str_split($string);
for($i = 90;$i < count($split);$i+=90)
{
$temp = $i;
while($split[$temp] != ' ')
{
	$temp--;
}
$parts[] = $temp;
}

for($i = 0;$i < count($parts);$i++)
{
$str_parts[] = substr($string, $parts[$i - 1], $parts[$i] - $parts[$i - 1]);
}

print_r($str_parts);

Output:

Array ( [0] => Advanced Training Institute for Mental Health Professional Evidence-based Mental Health [1] => Treatment of Traumatized A Seinfeldian Model of Ethical Reasoning: Jerry, George, Elaine, [2] => and Kramer Teach Aspirational Ethics Psychiatric Emergencies: Best Practices in the )

hmm.... Almost. We're missing the end of the string. More precisely this:

'Assessment and Management of the Patient in Crisis'

Oh, oops. That's because I didn't account for the fact that the last segment won't be 90 characters in length, try this:

$string = 'Advanced Training Institute for Mental Health Professional Evidence-based Mental Health Treatment of Traumatized A Seinfeldian Model of Ethical Reasoning: Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer Teach Aspirational Ethics Psychiatric Emergencies: Best Practices in the Assessment and Management of the Patient in Crisis';
$split = str_split($string);
for($i = 90;$i < count($split);$i+=90)
{
$temp = $i;
while($split[$temp] != ' ')
{
	$temp--;
}
$parts[] = $temp;
}

for($i = 0;$i < count($parts);$i++)
{
$str_parts[] = substr($string, $parts[$i - 1], $parts[$i] - $parts[$i - 1]);
}
$str_parts[] = substr($string, $parts[count($parts)-1]);

print_r($str_parts);

Oh, sorry, I didn't see you didn't want words to be broken. In that case, here's how I'd do it:

<?php
// the following's value should be something unique and never show in your string:
define('DELIMITER', '|||');

// Your string:

// wordwrap will place the delimiter at or before every 90 chars, and will not break words
// we will then explode the string by our unique delimiter into an array
$array = explode(DELIMITER,wordwrap($string, 90, DELIMITER, false));

// then loop through the results
foreach($array as $value) {
// do whatever to string...

// and output it.
echo $value,'<br>';
}
?>

Outputs:

Advanced Training Institute for Mental Health Professional Evidence-based Mental Health

Treatment of Traumatized A Seinfeldian Model of Ethical Reasoning: Jerry, George, Elaine,

and Kramer Teach Aspirational Ethics Psychiatric Emergencies: Best Practices in the

Assessment and Management of the Patient in Crisis

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.