PHP on Windows VPS

asmith

Hi,

Since I'm interested to run some windows applications, I'm about to get a windows vps, And I want to install Apache, MySQL and PHP5 on it, Just like what I used to do on linux.

My other choice is, I can Install Wine on linux and run those apps on linux also.

If I go with windows, What exactly I would miss? How smooth I can get my PHP to be running on windows servers?

If I go with windows, What exactly I would miss? How smooth I can get my PHP to be running on windows servers?

You wont miss much at all. theres only a few php extensions that are linux only. And yeah, installing is pretty straight forward.

Thanks thorpe for the reply :)

I've been using PHP on linux servers about 2 years now. I've heard a few times people not liking windows servers at all and complaining about its security problems. Since I was always on linux I never cared about how windows servers function.

I've installed PHP on windows XP on my local computer. I guess I won't have any problem handling a windows vps through a remote desktop control.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

I work with remote windows servers all day at work, and yeah, they suck. Just my opinion, I'd much rather be working on Linux like I do at home. At least you'll be using Apache and MySql, so thats some relief. I'm stuck with IIS and MSSql. Because of IIS's threading model I've had to er on the side of caution (rather than performance) and install php under fastcgi rather than as an asapi module. We also had to purchase several licenses for asapi rewrite as IIS has no url rewriting mechanisms built in.

Using Apache and MySql you won't really notice too much difference in your development environment besides the obvious lack of a decent shell. But there again, you could easily install Python (as I have) or even use PHP's cli for those commonly scripted tasks.

Because of IIS's threading model I've had to er on the side of caution (rather than performance) and install php under fastcgi rather than as an asapi module.

I think the recommended method of installing PHP on IIS is using FastCGI.

[...] as IIS has no url rewriting mechanisms built in.

You can (for IIS7 at least) download a free rewriting module from Microsoft: http://www.iis.net/extensions/URLRewrite

I don't have anything particular against IIS, but I find Apache easier to work with. Possibly because that's what I'm accustomed to.

Hmm I can't find anything special about installing php on windows vps.

I can install it myself. But I was wondering about reading some articles about it first.

Do you know anything in this field? like tutorials about install/securing windows vps and php5 on it?

A vps is just like a normal machine but with less processing power and memory, I doubt you'll find any tutorials specifically written for it, especially for windows. I don't think its too common for people to use windows as there vps OS.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.