Help with alphabetizing folder contents

jay1318

First of all - wonderful site! Great people and very helpful for a newbie like me.

I have a simple php script that shows the files in a particular folder. Its working great but I need the results to return alphabetized. Much thanks in advance!

Here's my code...

<?PHP

$folder =

"/my/complete/path/";

$handle = opendir($folder);

# Making an array containing the files in the current directory:

while ($file = readdir($handle))

{

$files[] = $file;

}

closedir($handle);

#echo the files

foreach ($files as $file) {

if($file == "." || $file == ".." || $file == "index.php" || $file == "thisfilename.php")

continue;

echo "<li><a href=$file>$file</a></li>"."<br />";

}

?>

That's it? Cool. But, can you possibly tell me where exactly to place it in the code or what it might replace?

Thanks again!

Considering that sort takes an array, you may want to give it the array with the folder names.

Well, still having trouble. This script is actually one I found online somewhere. Only modified it to not show the name of the php file itself.

Not sure why its returning the files out of order. Figured they'd be alphabetized by default.

If you don't use kenrdnsn's solution, then you're going to have to invoke the sort method on the array that contains all the file names ($files).  glob is made for such a task, you should probably use it instead.

In reading about the glob function, it does indeed appear to be the way to go. Unfortunately, as such a php novice, having trouble incorporating it correctly into the current script.

What's the problem you're having?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.