Yahoo to use Microsoft's Bing engine?

nrg_alpha

Uh, seems there is a deal in place for Yahoo to use Microsoft's search engine in place of their own.

Additional links coming from Techmeme: link starts around mid-page with 'Yahoo committed sepukku today' (with a string of related links below it.

Hmmm... so no more Yahoo search engine.. looks like Bing will now be the second biggest search engine after all.

Interesting times... Interesting times.

I think the Bing engine is pretty good, but the thing I don't like about it is that all of it's other services are "out-sourced" and not integrated. For example, the maps and the shopping. Two things I use Google for along with their search, it's just nice having it all integrated and feeling the same.

This partnership should be interesting though.

Yeah, I agree.. I think Bing is definitely Microsoft's best effort to date.  If this partnership manages to pass investor / regulatory authorities, MS will have the rights to the Yahoo search engine. Will be interesting to see how Bing shapes up with this technology integrated.

I still don't use Bing (but admittedly like it). I don't think this partnership will be enough to seriously rattle Google though (as MS would have ~30% of the search market vs Google's 70% - still quite lopsided), but indeed this should be interesting for sure.

yeah I read about this earlier today from a link on drudgereport.com  The article I read basically said that yahoo agreed to sell the yahoo search engine/data to MS for whatever price, but MS has to provide yahoo with limited db read access to the info.  Yahoo says they feel that letting MS run the search engine dept will free up time/money to focus on the other stuff they do. 

From the sitepoint link I have read, there is no exchange of cash.

My understanding is that MS will get rights to Yahoo's search engine (which I presume will translate into integration with Bing! (Binghoo! anyone?  :shy: ) ..Err, anyway.. as a result, this off loads  ~$200 Million on Yahoo's side for alleviation of costs for continuous research / development for their engine. As well, Yahoo will use Bing! instead of their own search engine. In return, Yahoo will handle all on line sales/advertising, and Yahoo gets to keep 88% of all the revenue from this.

So Yahoo saves / earns more money while MS gets to basically become the 2nd biggest search engine out there (~30%) to better contend with Google. At least, that's how I understand it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.