Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alecjw

Monitor frequencies

I've been trying to push my monitor a bit lately, and see what it can do.
I've been increasing the frequencies to very high numbers. I managed to get my LCD 17" to do 150Hz, more than double its usual frequency (60Hz).
Has anyone ever gone higher than that? Is it safe? What will my monitor do if I force it to do a frequency which it can't?

Thanks in advance.

[quote author=alecjw link=topic=103334.msg411403#msg411403 date=1154988901]
I've been trying to push my monitor a bit lately, and see what it can do.
I've been increasing the frequencies to very high numbers. I managed to get my LCD 17" to do 150Hz, more than double its usual frequency (60Hz).
Has anyone ever gone higher than that? Is it safe? What will my monitor do if I force it to do a frequency which it can't?

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

I believe you should consider it unsafe if you exceed either your monitor's or graphiccard's limit set by the manufacturer.

Probably should, but my warranty isn't void until >150Hz!

If you go beyond the available frequency, you won't be able to see anything.  You will need to hook it up to something that can view it at that frequency to find the screen controls to reduce it.  I don't recommend pushing it anywhere close to that high.

The whole point of the frequency is to avoid screen flicker.  The human eye cannot notice the differences above something like 70Hz.  I'm not even sure it's that high.  Most monitors only go up to 85Hz, and that's even too high.  You're only going to burn the equipment out faster using refresh rates that high.

i installed Symphony OS once and it didn't detect my VGA so i manually up'd my refresh rate and the monitor burnt out :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.