Final question what do you recommend

nickthrolson

what would you do would file sharing type site work or what do you recommend I do its for final in my php class

The project should include the following

1) Database containing at least 3 if not more tables for your project. (I want to see the .sql script that creates the table.)

2) User interface, which should require a login with restricted access to some pages of the site.

3) Administrative interface which allows viewing users and other data recorded at the site. Obviously, some sort of login for this as well.

4) Utilize the concepts we have covered for the PHP programming language. Variables, constructs(if,if-else,for,while, etc...), Arrays, Functions. Note: Classes are not necessary. They are a very hard concept and it is difficult for students that have not had Java or C++.

5) Some sort of user input validation is required.

Any kind of site with user input could easily have 3 tables....

Short side note not specifically directed at you:

"Note: Classes are not necessary. They are a very hard concept and it is difficult for students that have not had Java or C++."

I disagree with the Java/C++ remark.  I think OOP is just as easy to learn (if not easier) in PHP as C++.  As for Java, the reason it's probably mentioned is because you have to code using objects.

Note: Classes are not necessary. They are a very hard concept and it is difficult for students that have not had Java or C++.

The fact that you say "classes are not necessary" shows that you do not understand OOP. OOP is a paradigm as opposed to just using a class as a kind of "construct" in the procedural paradigm.

Anyway, there are lots of things you can do. A forum, blog, wiki, CMS, etc.

I disagree with the Java/C++ remark.  I think OOP is just as easy to learn (if not easier) in PHP as C++.  As for Java, the reason it's probably mentioned is because you have to code using objects.

I agree.  Given how simple PHP is, compared to some other languages, it's the perfect language to get one's feet wet in the subject.  No need to worry about pointers, heap memory, writing copy constructors....

Yeah, I agree Nightslyr...  PHP is about as easy as it gets to learn OOP in.

I bet what the teacher really means is:

"Classes are a really hard concept [for me], so please don't use them [because I might not understand]."

Ok, done criticizing your teacher now :).

It sounds like this is a beginning or introductory programming course, probably one semester or less in length, so the teacher's comment on classes is semi-appropriate.  Although I disagree that classes are a difficult concept; the concept itself is quite simple, it's the implementation that people (even seasoned developers) struggle with!

Anyways, I would say make a project / site that is related to a hobby of yours.  If the site is related to another one of your interests, then it's all the more likely you may continue to work on it after the class and also all the more likely you'll want it to be super-cool.

Before I landed my first professional programming gig I was a computer science major (final year) and waiting tables.  I was running a WoW guild (long since gave that nonsense up) and decided we needed a cool web site.  Oh sure I could have found plug-ins and libraries and widgets for what the site needed, but I'm a programmer damn it, I can make this crap myself.  So off I went and bought a PHP / MySQL book and within a few months I had a site:

User Authentication

User Privileges

Forum

Image Gallery

Member Listing

Event Calendar w/ Sign Up Sheet

DKP Tracker, Listing, etc.

I started programming because I wanted to develop games, but I found I quite liked the web / database stuff as well.  When it came time to start job searching I was able to show them the guild site, made from scratch, and they were impressed enough to hire me.

The End.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.