CMS or Notepad...

DEVILofDARKNESS

Do you use a cms or do you wirte every code on your own?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a cms or do you wirte every code on your own?

• CMS (like joomla, drupal, ...)
    • Not CMS
    • Custom mads CMS

I really don't like using CMS's like Jommla or Drupal. I use a couple of the well-known PHP frameworks for larger projects, but have my own little light-weight custom framework for the smaller projects. I use a few different editors as well depending where I am or what I'm doing... including vim, notepad++ and zend studio.

The only CMS' I use are bespoke ones (built myself). I'm of a similar view to MrAdam, if I'm maknig a small site I'll use my own setup, but for bigger projects I use a frameweork (codeigniter).

If a system I'm building requires a CMS it will be built within codeigniter. If I had the time and knowhow to create a framework capable of supporting large systems I would, but why re-invent the wheel?

When you make a system that would profit from the use of a framework, the benfits will become obvious. That may seem like an obvious statement, but until you feel like you need to use a framework you probably don't need to be using one.

Zend Framework, CakePHP, CodeIgniter

Search some of those frameworks in google and have a read of the information of the site. They explain the general idea of the frameworks, and their benefits. For a small project it can just be overkill, you'd spend more time setting up the framework and complying (in the case of Cake and CI) to the MVC design pattern, where it would be far faster to build from scratch.

EDIT

Also, until you do things the hard way (the proper way), like securing your own GET/POST data, validating input, working with databases, cookies and sessions you will not feel the benefits offered by the framework, or understand the importance of it's functions/methods.

why is a framework better?

Because it saves you from starting from scratch on every single project. If it's a good framework it'll also be well tested both using unit tests, but also in real development environments. This gives you a kind of quality assurance.

notepad is the best.

Ow man you're hardcore, you're edgy establishment!

LMAO

On a PC I prefer notepad++, on a mac, smultron. I just wish that smultron did the function/class/if/etc collapsing with the little + and -.

On another note. I really appreciate the fact that I learned to code html, php, javascript, mysql etc etc in a basic setup. Syntax highlighting rules, but for example, we have an html / css lady here who I convinced to try Smultron instead of Dreamweaver. Without the autocomplete, she can't even remember how an <a href> tag is supposed to be typed... I just feel that stuff like that, while easy and cool, Is not the best if you're looking to truely learn, and understand what you're doing.

Just my two cents :P

Josh

EDIT: I just now saw the poll at the top. Shouldn't we have 1. Own code, as in old school junk. 2. Open source CMS, Joomla, etc. And 3. Custom made CMS?

Because I roll with CMS, but would never support Joomla :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.