Another redesign for my site

sKunKbad

I'm sorry but I lean closer to the "i hate it" crowd. The text is very plain and uninviting. The background looks really low quality. The color scheme seems jaggered and doesn't flow well. I can't really see anything wrong with the structure or placing of content, just the design ruins it in my opinion.

I agree, the structure and content seem fine, probably a few tweaks to be made, but yet again we have another design that doesn't really suite its purpose, what I mean is this is a web design themed service, that you have designed with a brick background?

The problem we have is as soon as I hit the site I naturally want to read the page header, content header and then content, the design should not get in the way of this, but my eye is being distracted by they background, the weird black and white painting thing on the right and the branches that are behind the page header.

ILMV

OK, no sense beating a dead horse. Not just you guys, but the background was either disliked by all, or they questioned, "why bricks?". I changed it to a simple gradient. Even so, I had received contacts from potential customers since putting up the new design. Obviously somebody thinks it's OK, even with the bricks.

I'm not going after a design that looks like everyone else, so trying to make a site that looks like the "normal web designer site" isn't an option. I think the customers I get contact me because my site stands out as different. It always has, even before this re-design.

In terms of colors, I got the color scheme from a beer bottle. I figured that beer companies must know something about attracting people to their product. I know a screen isn't a beer bottle, but .... whatever.

The cool thing is is that this template allows for very simple theme changes. Depending on how many jobs I get, the current theme will either stay or go.

Not at all :D

I think to be fair you have a good design, perhaps I was being slightly too harsh but you do have a good design, the branches below the logo don't seem so bad now, still not 100% about the black and white image, but in general your design makes so much more sense without the bricks :-)

Well, the black and white image is actually an art project that I did. It was done on scratchboard, and was in an art show a while back. I know the page doesn't give the user any clues....

Originally I was a black and white artist. Much of what I've done is tedious rapidograph pen art. I got bored with art, and haven't done anything in a long time, and not sure what the future holds.

I want my website to convey that I am more than the average freelancer. Hopefully people will not feel that my website is just like all the rest.

Thanks for your comments.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.