PS3 versus XBOX 360

waynewex

Firstly, why do they call it the XBox 360?! Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away!

Anyway. The reason I like PS3 better is because I don't have to pay to play online, the controller doesn't rip my hand up and as far as I'm aware, XBox 360 doesn't have the Metal Gear Solid series. I have an XBox 360, I just never play it. I don't rate Halo that much. Nor Gears of War.

First, I don't see how your joke is acuarate at all, so I don't really find it funny. I have a 360, and I love it. It has Fable 2, Dead or Alive, Perfect Dark, Dynasty Warriors and The Force Unleased (Those are my games). Admittedly, I don't have the PS3, but I still like the 360

I wouldn't choose either. This is because with the PS3, for the amount you pay for it...you could build a pc that could run higher quality games on it. I did have an xbox, but after a year and a half I got the three red lights...

So now the only consoles I own are by nintendo...a wii, ds and n64...which I prefer to have instead of an xbox or ps3.

I had a ps3.  It broke.  I waffled about whether to get a 360 or ps3 and ultimately I decided on ps3 because they have a tendency to pump out more rpgs, and also the whole blue-ray thing seemed kinda cool at the time. I then got a wii.  I was very disappointed.  I mean, there are some games on it that are okay.  But..meh.  Although I admit I am excited about the new mario game coming out in a couple weeks.

I sided with xbox 360.. Like many others, mine succumbed to the 'red ring of death' syndrom and needed replacing. What impressed me was the speed of replacement. I called MS support, they rushed me a box. Once it arrived, I packed my core console in it (no controllers or harddrive), shipped it off (at their expense), and within 2 days, received a replacement. So far, the replacement has been solid (and it's been about a year since).

Aside from exclusives, there isn't that much that separates the PS3 from the 360. My friend believed that since the PS3's hardware is technically stronger, the games (that appear on both systems) would look superior on PS3. Having been in development in games for about a decade, I told him that usually, when a title appears on both rival systems, the differences will be negligable. In general, companies who develop for both simply do not need to waste more manpower / money on boosting one version of their product on the technologically stronger console (which is why in general, games appear to be quite close to the same on both systems -  what might be different is that one console might get something extra, say an additional bonus level for example - but even then, this is not common).

Of course, when dealing with exclusives (and having those games for the stronger system), those developers can run and gun for squeezing the most performance out of it without having to deal with the 'lowest common denominator' so-to-speak (Polyphony Digital with its jaw dropping Gran Tourismo comes to mind in a hurry - granted, on that note, Polyphony Digital is owned by Sony, so those developers have an advantage in that they can access the hardware engineers and see what is and is not possible (which I heard was the case).. the blessings of 1st party developers).

All in all, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are comparable. Sure, the PS3 has blu-ray and doesn't require paying to play online (nice advantages I must admit), but overall, they are comparable. I just hope MS learns from this red ring of death fiasco as I'm sure this turned many gamers to the PS3 and might not trust any future MS consoles afterwards. But I'm happy with my 360 as long as it doesn't kick the bucket on me.

I have both, mainly for playing platform exclusives. But if a game is available on both, I generally get it for the 360 - I like the controller better and I have more peripherals for it.

Same here.  I used to be Sony-only, but as a platform, the PS3 is a bit too spartan to me.  Aside from Uncharted and Warhawk, there isn't anything on it that I wouldn't rather play on the Xbox (not a MGS fan).

Instead of pumping more money into Home - which is quite useless - Sony should be improving the UI, adding old favorites to the PSN store (I'd pay money for Vagrant Story), and upgrading their browser so it doesn't choke on JavaScript or Flash.

XBox 360 & PS3 I've neither played. I don't intend to. I lost interest in things that I've used similar as I was a kid eg: PS1, XBox, Nintendo, Saga, Origional black and white pocket gameboy.

This may call me sad, I don't know, your choice.

However.. PS3.. has an easy name. PS1, PS2, PS3. Easy

Xbox and Xbox 360.. are both irrelevant.

Firstly.. The Xbox, doesn't look like an X, nor a box. (Mechanical box.. possibly) Xbox 360 for the same reason, except for the 360.. how's it look like a 360?

I think both machines are great though. Both have there downfalls. Though both look great and look great played.

However.. please answer the names of Xbox and Xbox 360.

XBox 360 & PS3 I've neither played. I don't intend to. I lost interest in things that I've used similar as I was a kid eg: PS1, XBox, Nintendo, Saga, Origional black and white pocket gameboy.

This may call me sad, I don't know, your choice.

However.. PS3.. has an easy name. PS1, PS2, PS3. Easy

Xbox and Xbox 360.. are both irrelevant.

Firstly.. The Xbox, doesn't look like an X, nor a box. (Mechanical box.. possibly) Xbox 360 for the same reason, except for the 360.. how's it look like a 360?

I think both machines are great though. Both have there downfalls. Though both look great and look great played.

However.. please answer the names of Xbox and Xbox 360.

Well, the Xbox did have a big X on the front

...Firstly.. The Xbox, doesn't look like an X, nor a box. (Mechanical box.. possibly) Xbox 360 for the same reason, except for the 360.. how's it look like a 360?

...please answer the names of Xbox and Xbox 360.

Well, the first xbox did have an x across it, and was 'boxy':

http://media.teamxbox.com/faq/xbox.jpg

So as far as I'm concerned, the name 'xbox' is fitting. To keep the brand name (which is clearly now established), MS continued the xbox name (much like Sony kept the Playstation name), the next hurdle for MS was the iteration number. Playstation was going on version 3.. so while MS could have simply called the next version xbox 2, from what I have read, it boiled down to marketing and brand perception. Many people might walk into a store and see Playstation 3 and xbox 2 side by side, see that the number 3 is greater than 2, therefore that must be the superior system (yes, the PS3 is technologically better than the 360). So, to avoid this problem, MS came up with 360 (not sure of the details involving 360.. but one thing is for sure.. for people who don't know any better.. xbox 360 sounds better than xbox 2 when comparing it to the name Playstation 3). From that standpoint, it does make sense... granted, I never bothered to see what other explanations are out there with regards to the name.

I'm a real man, so I play PC games. I still don't understand how you can play a shooter without a mouse

Not wure where you get the notion that real men play PC games.  :anim_reading:

While I agree that first person shooters are superior on a PC as opposed to a console, shooters can and do work well enough. Halo was probably the first shooter that made me take notice of how surprisingly well a shooter can handle on a console. Granted, given the choice, I would certainly prefer a keyboard/mouse combination. But good shooters can be done on consoles as well.

But yeah, there's nothing quite as gratifying as managing to place your reticle at pin point mouse accuracy on the 1 pixel sized head of some opponent bastard's character god knows how far away from you and left click - Boom! Headshot! That character's little pixelated body isn't moving anymore. R.I.P  :-*

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.