going to invent a wheel.

Dorky

about to try my hand at a forum from the ground up. suggestions wanted.

Start simple.  Work on the basics first, like figuring out how to display the forum, any sub-forums, and the threads themselves.  OOP is perfect for something like this, as a lot of forum components map naturally to objects (users, the posts themselves, etc).

I made a very simple Image board from scratch once. Kinda copied the wakaba format, but it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. Like Nightslyr said, start simple, but I would suggest that you code this as smartly as you can, so when you want to add new features, you don't have to rewrite a bunch of different stuff.

good luck with the admin control panel =P

Against my better judgment, I will go ahead and provide you advice.  I should probably start with an analysis of your approach here.  It requires improvement, if you would like to be taken seriously and accepted or respected.  This could be a major step in your personal journey, if that journey includes as a goal becoming a competent PHP developer.

To put this bluntly, you have no credibility on phpfreaks, based on your participation since you started coming here.  Your posts reflect a general lack of expertise in web development, and you have further detracted from your reputation here by being argumentative and close minded when people attempted to engage you. 

Truthfully, the world doesn't need a forum written by you, however, I fully endorse any attempt you might make to get in over your head, as it has the potential to be a great learning experience for you. 

- Features/ Requirements

You need to have a feature list.  Where is your list?

-Technical design

This would outline a technical philosophy, and architectural decisions

-Entity relationship diagram

Your database design

-Competitive analysis

Have you installed, played with and analyzed the various forums that already exist?

I know the answer to all these questions.  You haven't done anything yet -- this is just a whim -- some more digital graffiti on the wall of our sandbox.     

People who want to write a forum don't bother posting to a forum first -- they do some actual work.  It's great to ask for an opinion on a straw man, design doc, asset, or code library.  Feel free to come back when you have any of those.  Until then, I will continue to consider your presence here to be borrowed time.  You should probably know that you have already managed to annoy some very knowledgeable people to the degree that they already ignore you, and you've gotten to the level of notoriety that you may find yourself persona non grata if things don't improve. 

I was going to offer suggestions but the mention of inventing wheels took me along a rickety path to spending a good half-hour reading a chunk of English Pleasure Carriages: Their Origin, History, Varieties, Materials, Construction, Defects, Improvements, And Capabilities (W. Bridges Adams, 1837).  I know know the best way to construct a carriage wheel from wood (and iron hoop) but have completely forgot what I was originally going to post on the subject of your creating a forum from scratch.  :-[

Only if you are skilled enough to make a wheel at all. If not, then your wheel will end up worse, not better, than all the wheels that have been built before.

Too many people jump into programming and attempt to make a whole multi-thousand line application (a whole wheel) as their first project, when in fact they don't have the knowledge to even define and identify what the wheel that they are trying to build looks like or what shape it should be. You have to first learn how to build the individual parts that go into making an entire programming application before you can build a whole wheel.

<-- Snipped out a long rant -->

My point of this long post: Reinventing the wheel takes dedication and research. Asking for suggestions on a forum is sign of immaturity and rash laziness. Stop bickering and log onto google and start research. 90% of development time should be taken up by research. If you really want to reinvent the wheel, shouldn't your product be better, faster, and degrade more elegantly than any other product on the web? How are you going to do this without analyzing code, editing code, and investigating why these products are the leaders in the market?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.