Review my portfolio please :]

janinexd

I really like it. You have a very extensive portfolio and looking at your html/css I'm quite impressed.

I do have a concern. The color schemes is more childish to me than professional. I know this is quite a heavy statement, but it's a little bit of a turn off. Maybe you can eliminate the rainbow, and make your name a professional logo? Just my 2 cents.

Here are my thoughts:

- The visuals do look nice, clean and professional. The layout is easy to understand, with plenty of breathing room. However, I don't like how the header is wider than the body of the site though (breaks alignment imo.. wouldn't be so bad if the header graphic went from screen edge to edge.. but given the width of 1400px, it sits there cropped off on higher resolution monitors).

- Typically, most headers (or portions of them) act as image hyperlinks that when clicked, jump to the home page. I would consider making the 'JanineXD' part such a link (and I agree with FilmG.. Perhaps a more professional looking logo or something).

- When viewing source code, I noticed that you have some embedded your css.. why not make this as a small separate css file? (liekwise with your javascripting.. making it a separate file enables better maintenance should it require some down the road).

- You don't appear to have any SEO (aside from perhaps the title tage). So this means you make no use of heading tags (h1, h2, etc..), no meta description tag, etc.. I would recommend looking into integrating some SEO into your pages.

- Examining the site using Yslow for Firebug in Firefox, seems like there's room for additional optmizations to be had (just images alone can shed over 45k via Yslow's smush.it! tool for example). I would recommend dowloading this tool and checking your site for ways to imrpove it. You can also read Yahoo's best practices as well.

- I would probably include some form of copyright info into the footer (perhaps below the built in form).

Overall, pretty well done (though it does feel 'template-ish'). Clean and serves its purpose well I suppose.

When posting sites to critique, double check your links please (assuming it's .com):

http://www.janinexd.com

Sorry about this, i think i was in a hurry when i post that XD

The color schemes is more childish to me than professional. I know this is quite a heavy statement, but it's a little bit of a turn off. Maybe you can eliminate the rainbow, and make your name a professional logo?

* noted, thank you :D

Here are my thoughts:

- The visuals do look nice, clean and professional. The layout is easy to understand, with plenty of breathing room. However, I don't like how the header is wider than the body of the site though (breaks alignment imo.. wouldn't be so bad if the header graphic went from screen edge to edge.. but given the width of 1400px, it sits there cropped off on higher resolution monitors).

- Typically, most headers (or portions of them) act as image hyperlinks that when clicked, jump to the home page. I would consider making the 'JanineXD' part such a link (and I agree with FilmG.. Perhaps a more professional looking logo or something).

- When viewing source code, I noticed that you have some embedded your css.. why not make this as a small separate css file? (liekwise with your javascripting.. making it a separate file enables better maintenance should it require some down the road).

- You don't appear to have any SEO (aside from perhaps the title tage). So this means you make no use of heading tags (h1, h2, etc..), no meta description tag, etc.. I would recommend looking into integrating some SEO into your pages.

- Examining the site using Yslow for Firebug in Firefox, seems like there's room for additional optmizations to be had (just images alone can shed over 45k via Yslow's smush.it! tool for example). I would recommend dowloading this tool and checking your site for ways to imrpove it. You can also read Yahoo's best practices as well.

- I would probably include some form of copyright info into the footer (perhaps below the built in form).

Overall, pretty well done (though it does feel 'template-ish'). Clean and serves its purpose well I suppose.

Wow. very nice review, thank you so much for the detailed review.

I will take note of this.

To all,

thank you so much for the detailed reviews, i really appreciate it. and i will take note of your comments. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.