Need a new IDE

JonnoTheDev

I've been using Netbeans for about a year now.  I used Dreamweaver before that.  I don't even run a WAMP server anymore, I just use the publish settings to upload to my home linux box everytime I save so I have less running on my windows machine. Nice little feature.  There is also version control built in.

I've been using Netbeans for about a year now.  I used Dreamweaver before that.

Trying netbeans now. Got a couple of querks. Im not used to the code colouring. It was much better in DW, can it be changed? To FTP files to a remote server you have to right click the file and select upload. Can there not be a ctrl key macro'd to the keyboard to do this?

I've been using Netbeans for about a year now.  I used Dreamweaver before that.

Trying netbeans now. Got a couple of querks. Im not used to the code colouring. It was much better in DW, can it be changed? To FTP files to a remote server you have to right click the file and select upload. Can there not be a ctrl key macro'd to the keyboard to do this?

Highlighting options are in Tools > Options > Font and Colors

You can set the project as Remote Web Site, so that it will upload the files to indicated FTP account on each save. (right click on project and select properties)

I too used to be a DW user (Macromedia Version 8  8) ). Truth be told, when I initially tried NetBeans, I didn't care much for it.. so I switched back to DW for a while.. then went back to give it another shot (as I did like the code highlighting). Once I really started to get used to NetBeans (and it's nuances and shortcuts and such), DW just collected dust on the hard drive so to speak.

I was also initially not happy with NetBean's syntax colouring.. but once I got used to it, I didn't care anymore. Now I won't go back to any other IDE. NetBeans does all I need. There... that's my puiblic service announcement for the day. My name is nrg_alpha, and I approve this message!  :thumb-up:

I initially tried NetBeans, I didn't care much for it.. so I switched back to DW for a while..

Yeah, kinda gone down that route. Trialing Adobe DWCS4, which I like.

NetBeans and Eclipse are Ok.  But they suffer from the same sluggishness as all Java apps.

I've noticed this

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.