Non-standard character input parsing scripts?

woolyg

Hi all,

I'm facing a project that will take input of data from forms submitted by users, but in a lot of cases, the user text that is input will have non-standard characters - examples:

à (HTML &agrave or &#68)

ö (HTML &ouml or &#87)

- semicolons omitted the html code for ease of reading

Has anyone used any WYSIWYG textarea scripts, or general javascripts, that automatically changes non-standard character input by the user into its HTML equivalent, for ease of storage in a database and ease of display later on?

The last thing I want to have display on the site is those annoying little boxes when a browser can't understand a character....!

All input appreciated.

WoolyG

Thanks everyone.

neil.johnson - should I run that mysql query *directly* after connecting to the DB in each case?

Also, if I changed the encoding of all pages in the project to utf-8 instead of ISO-8859-1, should that suffice? I'm reading about the different types of encoding now.

Cheers for the valuable info - really appreciated.

Wooly

Generally speaking I would have something along the lines of...

mysql_connect('blah', 'blah', 'blah');
mysql_select_db('blah');
mysql_query("SET NAMES UTF8");
mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET UTF8");

Yes, that should suffice with regards to the encoding of the pages.

Cool. Thanks guys for the informative replies. The project will start in english, and eventually incorporate indian characters, as well as some eastern european languages as well, so I'll take your advice, do some intense reading on the whole process, and get to changing my settings around.

Waynewex - as a fellow Irishman I am beside you in mourning the death of decency, honour, and innocence of the beautiful game. Tiocfaidh ár (fraincis) lá

Cheers everyone

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.