Advice from someone who's been there

SchweppesAle

Alright this is kind of work related, but I was hoping I could get some insight on the field and how you guys all got your "foot in the door" etc.

Did you start off part time, where you making over 30k(at least), did you work alone or in a team, etc.

Have you ever worked for a start-up company(2years) that intentionally lets you go out seeking new employment only to give you a piss poor reference since you consist of their entire IT department? 

You know, the usual real life questions. 

I pretty much just earned my BS degree and I'm trying to go about this is in a professional manner.  >:(

I'd think about how I did wrong and could improve instead of blaming on others. You can be better, actually much much better than you currently are and everything will start turning around.

The best fuck the rest. If you are not the best in what you do, you will be fucked everywhere you go.

If I was a boss "intentionally" having an employee seek other employment, it would be because I felt the employee wasn't working out.  Maybe their performance was sub-par.  Maybe their attitude was sub-par.  Maybe both.  Not saying that's the case here, just saying in general, I don't really see people doing that for the hell of it.  They must have had some problem with you (whether it was justified or not, I do not know).

where you making over 30k(at least),

That has pretty much no meaning without a reference point. If your American $30k might be do-able (I don't know, I'm basing it on a direct currency conversion which doesn't always work), if your English your extremely unlikely to start out at £30k.

I don't really understand the question in this post.

I pretty much just earned my BS degree and I'm trying to go about this is in a professional manner.

Well, you write a CV, you send it to employers, upload to job search websites, scour the web for positions. Maybe offer yourself for some voluntary work to get experience. If you have a degree then is this not obvious.

if your English your extremely unlikely to start out at £30k.

We had grads on about £18k I think

I pretty much just earned my BS degree [...]

In what? Comparative literature, medical chemistry, history and aesthetics of dancing (that actually used to be a real education on my university), computer science, mathematics? I'd say that's a pretty relevant thing.

As someone also said, 30k/yr doesn't really mean anything without specifying a location, and more importantly a currency. I'm going to assume USD. 30k USD/yr would be a rip off where I live. For comparison, it's pretty much the norm that computer science graduates have entry level salaries of +$70k/yr where I live, and that's on the low end. Here it's also the norm that people go for a MSc instead of "only" BSc though. Basically you'll be competitively disadvantaged if you only have a BSc because everybody else take an MSc.

Bottom line: A community consisting of people from all over the world can't tell you about expected salary. Research what people are paid in your local area. Ask recent graduates from your university. Assuming you're not significantly below average you can probably expect to earn somewhere near the same as they do.

Yeah, it's in USD. We have a couple of internal mailing lists at my department. Someone who graduated with an MSc this summer wrote in one of the threads that his salary is around 34000 DKK/month. According to Google, 34000*12 DKK in USD = 82738.32 USD.

It doesn't mean much to people who don't live in Denmark though. The $30k OP mentioned is a joke in some countries and a fortune in others.

Someone who graduated with an MSc this summer wrote in one of the threads that his salary is around 34000 DKK/month. According to Google, 34000*12 DKK in USD = 82738.32 USD

Surely that is an extremely high salary. That works out at £50k. To earn that sort of cash you would have to have at least 10+ years experience and be in a managerial / team leader role in the UK. There is no way that a graduate with no work experience would earn anything near that as a software engineer in the UK no matter the location. Guessing tops would be about £25k, and you would have to be lucky.

Our company expanded and took on about 3 uni grads. Worst mistake ever. I was totally shocked to see the skills they had learned (these were web development grads) on their degree. It was basic at best. They could not work in the real world as their knowledge didn't extend to the technologies & environments we were woking with. I spent most of my time having to fix their mistakes or show them how to build real world applications and structure code for the web. We ended up sacking them all as it cost the company a fortune.

As Daniel said, it's all relative. It depends on cost of living as well as the quality of living etc. It may seem like a lot to earn probably 40% more than what you'd get in this country, but if living expenses are 40% more then it's essentially the same wage. You also need to factor in health care, travel expenses etc. You can get paid a relative fortune by doing relatively normal jobs on an oil-rig, but your stuck there all the time (usually in 6 month periods but you earn more than most people do in a year). Basically you can't make a flat comparison based on the currency conversion as it's meaningless.

Someone who graduated with an MSc this summer wrote in one of the threads that his salary is around 34000 DKK/month. According to Google, 34000*12 DKK in USD = 82738.32 USD

Surely that is an extremely high salary. That works out at £50k. To earn that sort of cash you would have to have at least 10+ years experience and be in a managerial / team leader role in the UK. There is no way that a graduate with no work experience would earn anything near that as a software engineer in the UK no matter the location. Guessing tops would be about £25k, and you would have to be lucky.

http://www.prosa.dk/raadgivning/loenstatistik/oest-for-storebaelt/programmering-og-udvikling/3-12-aars-it-erfaring/

I know it's in Danish, so you cannot read it. Anyways, these are some stats on average salaries per month for programmers/developers working 37 hours/week. It's grouped in "years of IT-experience" which is defined to be the number of years you've worked in the industry and the number of years your education took. A master's degree is nominated for 5 years (300 ECTS points). That makes 34000 DKK/month reasonable according to those stats.

A lot of people at my department are also actually interested in computer science (compared to some people who are just in it for the potential high salaries) so they are actively studying things on their own, having their own programming projects and have IT related spare time jobs. This means many people aren't just complete noobs when they leave.

Computer scientists do happen to be one of the most well-paid university graduates in Denmark though.

As Daniel said, it's all relative. It depends on cost of living as well as the quality of living etc. It may seem like a lot to earn probably 40% more than what you'd get in this country, but if living expenses are 40% more then it's essentially the same wage. You also need to factor in health care, travel expenses etc. You can get paid a relative fortune by doing relatively normal jobs on an oil-rig, but your stuck there all the time (usually in 6 month periods but you earn more than most people do in a year). Basically you can't make a flat comparison based on the currency conversion as it's meaningless.

Yeah. Often people say that Google's engineers and researchers are paid a lot of money, but from what I know, living in Mountain View, California is pretty expensive as well.

yeah but I also hear Google pays for practically everything for them, almost like being in the army... wanna work out?  No problem, go to the google gym!  Wanna watch a movie? No problem, go to the google multi-plex theater.  Wanna eat? No problem, just go to the cafeteria.  Need clothes? No problem! Of course, it'll have the google logo on them.. Need daycare? Here you go.  We just bought the college next door, so if you wanna learn something new, just head on over there and flash your employee badge! 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.