Selecting Distinct issues... help!

iPixel

Ok here's what's giving me a problem.

I have a table with call records, which looks something like so.

[CALLDATE]  [COUNT_PNUMS] [CALLTYPE]  [FILENUMBER]

12/04/2009            11                    I                  123456

12/04/2009              5                    O                123456

12/01/2009            7                      I                  987654

My issue is, im trying to select a range of dates let's say between 12/01/2009 and 12/04/2009

That's the easy part... but then i want to display these dates cingularly, and not the amount of times they were pulled.

EXAMPLE:

SELECT calldate, count_pnums, calltype, filenumber FROM tablename WHERE calldate BETWEEN '$sDate' AND '$eDate' AND filenumber = '$filenum'";

So if i run a while loop echoing all my results... in this case 12/04/2009 will be echoed twice.

But for my purposes i only need to show it once, so i thought i could use a DISTINCT/UNIQUE clause in the query but that does not work when selecting multiple fields. So how can i do this while still pulling more than 1 field?

The above result would be like

12/04/2009  -  11  -  I  -  123456

12/04/2009  -  5    -  O  -  123456

12/01/2009  -  7    -    I  -  987654

But i need it to display like ...

12/04/2009  -  x  -  x  -  123456

12/01-2009  -  x  -  x    - 987654

The reason i left those #'s as X's is because during the do while loop i'd compute the totals per day.

Thanks!

Well the calltype is definitely causing the issue. Technically the query is distinct, since one call type is I the other is O. There is no way around this, as far as I know other than leaving that field off. You may be able to do some fancy sub-querying (such as displaying total 16 - 11 I - 5 O in one line but I do not think it would be worth it, in my opinion.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.