PHP.ini File Help

Hi,

I have been trying to edit my php.ini file through the command line using putty. I need to edit this:

max_upload_filesize = 2M

I need it to be 10MB. Any instructions would be great. I am on a virtual dedicated server so I have ssh access. I can also use instructions for a Mac or PC so let me know. Thanks!

If you have SSH access use the vi editor (given that its a *nix based sever).

I have managed to change the file name using the vim command but I do not know how to save the changes? any ideas?

Simplest way is probably using sed.

Code: [select]

sudo sed -i 's/upload_max_filesize = 2M/upload_max_filesize = 10M/' /etc/php.ini

You may need to change the last part to point to where your ini file is.

I tried this but it is giving me an odd error.

If I remember correctly the vi exit/save is something like

:wq!

Just remember to be "esc" out of text editing before attempting to run that command.

EDIT:

Given that vim is the same as vi (sorry I haven't used SSH in ages).

Just remember to be "esc" out of text editing before attempting to run that command.

EDIT:

ok cool thanks I will give that a try. One quick question though, when I am editing the file it say "Warning: You are editing a read only file." Is it suppose to say that?

EDIT:

ok cool thanks I will give that a try. One quick question though, when I am editing the file it say "Warning: You are editing a read only file." Is it suppose to say that?

You will need to edit the php.ini as the root user. The warning it is giving you is basically saying 'you don't have permissions to write to this file'.

EDIT:

You will need to edit the php.ini as the root user. The warning it is giving you is basically saying 'you don't have permissions to write to this file'.

Thanks a lot. It work now. That was the reason because of the permissions. Thank a lot for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.