SQL Syntax Error

flash gordon

Apparently I have a syntax error. Can anyone tell me what it is?

IF TRUE
THEN
  SELECT * FROM contact_chat
ELSE
  SELECT * FROM contact_phone
END IF

MySQL Version: MySQL 5.0.75-0ubuntu10.2 via TCP/IP

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'IF TRUE

THEN

SELECT * FROM contact_chat

ELSE

SELECT * FROM contact_phone' at line 1

The syntax you are attempting is for stored procedures and functions -

This section describes the syntax for the BEGIN ... END  compound statement and other statements that can be used in the body of stored programs

What is your whole query and it would really help if you post the exact error message.

I do not think it is possible to do what you want in MySQL, at least in a query. I have tried many combination's, referred to the manual etc and I do not think you can dynamically define which table to pull the data from as shown. However, if you can figure out a WHERE statement in which you can use the case's to filter the data from the tables, you may be able to achieve this.

Because you're missing "SELECT" from the beginning. CASE is a control flow function, not a data manipulator function like SELECT is. (If I'm wrong, somebody please correct that statement)

You'd probably be better off doing this on the other side (PHP or whatever) or make a stored procedure/function to do this.

On that page, after the first paragraph:

Note

There is also an IF() function, which differs from the IF statement described here. See Section 11.3, “Control Flow Functions”.

If you look at the example you'll see the one you were looking at was for functions/procedures:

DELIMITER //

CREATE FUNCTION SimpleCompare(n INT, m INT)
  RETURNS VARCHAR(20)

BEGIN
    DECLARE s VARCHAR(20);

IF n > m THEN SET s = '>';
    ELSEIF n = m THEN SET s = '=';
    ELSE SET s = '<';
    END IF;

SET s = CONCAT(n, ' ', s, ' ', m);

RETURN s;
  END //

DELIMITER ;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.