Forum - PHP Help - 0 replies Search

I suggest adding some sort of "0 Replies" search, ordered most recent first.

Currently sorting the Replies field in Ascending Mode results in the oldest messages being displayed first.

It would be much more logical to display the most recent messages with 0 replies.

Should be simple, just add the old double sort order in the sql query :).

If($some_sort_variable = 'replies'){

$someclass->sql_append('SORT BY `reply_count`,`creation_date`');

}

dunno how ur forum code is structured but shud be something similar.

-CB-

I completely understand what your saying, but there are a few i've seen that can be helped, that are less than a week old.

at least we could say - provide more info :).

Would help you gain an even bigger community since people that post legitimate questions that aren't answered feel neglected compared to the rest of the community.

But it's only a suggestion.

-CB-

I completely understand what your saying, but there are a few i've seen that can be helped, that are less than a week old.

at least we could say - provide more info :).

Would help you gain an even bigger community since people that post legitimate questions that aren't answered feel neglected compared to the rest of the community.

But it's only a suggestion.

-CB-

nah, still have to disagree with you there... most of the helpers scan for 0 or no reply threads, as it means it's higher chance of being not solved yet (0 replies being 100% not solved).  Even during the "slow" periods, if a 0 reply thread manages to make it to the 2nd page, I assure you, it is not because nobody noticed it

nah, still have to disagree with you there... most of the helpers scan for 0 or no reply threads, as it means it's higher chance of being not solved yet (0 replies being 100% not solved).  Even during the "slow" periods, if a 0 reply thread manages to make it to the 2nd page, I assure you, it is not because nobody noticed it

I personally normally scan through the list when I get up. I generally open any with 0 replies in a new tab to read through. Sometimes simplistic well formed questions do make it through to the 2nd (or even 3rd or 4th) page but it's fairly rare and generally when posted in the lesser viewed boards. For example a simple mod_rewrite question is a lot less likely to be viewed than a simple PHP question. Generally speaking though 0 reply topics in the later pages are badly formed or fairly complex/obscure subjects that a high percentage of 'helpers' just don't know the answer to. If anything I'd say it's people that have had replies that are less likely to get the help if their problem isn't solved. I know personally I  often tend to ignore/avoid threads that have a few replies, especially if I recognise the name of person who posted the last reply as being competent.

What I hate seeing is 0 reply threads that are marked as solved. Since topics generally get replies so quickly around here it normally means they didn't bother researching/trying something before posting it also means they didn't bother telling anybody how they fixed the problem. Same applies to people that managed to edit their thread to say "Nevermind, fixed it, delete this". You can only edit a post for ~10 minutes, if they fixed it and managed to edit it in that time, there was really no need for the post. I know a lot of people will post things in multiple forums, but so far as I know it's not frowned upon to simply make another post saying "Solved on another forum, view solution here...<link>". It would take no more time.

Lol ok - well i think we've thoroughly discuessed this enough :P.

It's just 0 reply topics - they all can be answered, if helpers just do a quick google search (ive done it plently of times, with a previous phpfreaks account :P, and a couple with this one), just to get an idea of the subject matter, it helps the helper to learn as well. If they dont know the answer they can give references to people/ places that do :P.

Some people honestly don't know how to ask simple questions because they don't know the code well enough or have enough experience to structure an informative question. Unless they spam, or dont listen to the answers - that's different :P.

O lol - not nit-picking (well..maybe :P) but;

0 reply threads dont mean its 100% not solved ;).

And 0 reply threads could make it into the boundless pages therein, once it reaches the 2nd page, it's answering potential is probably (guess) halved, then halved again every subsequent page, unless poeple *bump* (which i wouldnt condone), people with specific questions as cags has mentioned wont get an answer unless someone with that particular knowledge reads the message :P.

Anyway, maybe some ideas there ;).

-CB-

No, i don't have two accounts, i don't have my old one anymore.

Mhmmm........ ::)

I still stand by, if the user wants help than they should help us help them. Posting something obscure/complex (such as cags said) will not get many of the (10 maybe 20) users browsing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.