php function from form?

RaythMistwalker

<form action='<? function(); ?>'>

I already know this doesn't actually work so does anyone know any way of calling a function that is on the SAME page using a form?

Nope. The action tag sends POST data, GET data, or calls a js event. AJAX will (easily) be required to send the POST/GET data to your PHP function, keeping it on the same page though. AJAX isn't too hard.

[quote author=oni-kun link=topic=283612.msg1344773#msg1344773

Nope. The action tag sends POST data, GET data, or calls a js event. AJAX will (easily) be required to send the POST/GET data to your PHP function, keeping it on the same page though. AJAX isn't too hard.

HUH?

Nope.

The method determines how the form data is sent. The action is merely a link extended to the submit. The submit triggers the browser to either append the data to the action-url or pass it in the body of the request(what is returned) as determined by the method as modified by the type. Once the request is processed the action is the "link" the browser uses to contact the server and submit the request body to.

HTH

Teamatomic

If you want call a PHP function when the form is submitted. Then you'll need to do something like this

<?php

function some_function()
{
    echo 'form submittted';
}

if(isset($_POST['submit']))
{
     // call function here
    some_function();
}

?>
<fom action="" method="post">
  SOME FIELD HERE
  <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

another small function question.

I know they are formatted as:

function name() {
}

or if i have a variable,

function name($var) {
}

Say it has 2 variables am i correct in saying it is done like,

function name($var1, $var2) {
}

and to call it would be

name($var1, $var2);

Also in the actual function declaration does it set the variables sent (say name(1, 2);) then would $var1 = 1 and $var2 = 2?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.