Web Design Critique

steviewdr

Hi guys,

So I've been working on this off and on. Looking for comments and general impressions on appearance.

http://burkesys.com/stephen/webdev/sburke.eu/

For the blog entry, I may have it only showing an excerpt so it won't extend downwards. The About Me and Portfolio divs will remain the same size.

Thanks.

-steve

It looks alright, except that I am viewing it on my laptop and have to scroll right to see it all.  Just incase that is not what you are asking about here is my take:

The portfolio and about me are kind of a deterrence, but if it is just a title page, that is fine. The colors seem to work well, the only part I may change is the text under your domain: Home of... I would probably get rid of that altogether. But all in all I think it looks decent.

It looks alright, except that I am viewing it on my laptop and have to scroll right to see it all.

I'm guessing once converted to HTML it would be centered and trimmed on smaller res monitors?

I think it looks good, not much I'd change really. The only thing I'm not sure about is the designs in the background, they're quite distracting. Think it's because they're too detailed, but they're also blury, so it's like a blury.. detailed.. distraction. Doesn't always go down smooth! The wooden background would look better in my opinion.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

premiso: I see what you mean about the About me and Portfolio. I've tried re-arranging them, putting them at the bottom but it didn't seem to work better. Its just for the front page, so Id say I'll leave it like that. As for the tag line, I would like something there to give the user an idea of the nature of the site.

tail: I trimed it down. I did design on my 1900x1200. I've tightened up on the background images so it'll look better on 1240x1024.

MrAdam: Thanks. I didn't realise how distracting them background images were. While I didnt want to remove them I changed them. I put a slight rotation on some of the images. I made them grey so they do not stand out (didn't realise how glaring the old version was. I also made them so they dont come out too much.

Old design: http://burkesys.com/stephen/webdev/sburke.eu-v1

Modified: http://burkesys.com/stephen/webdev/sburke.eu

See what ye think. Thanks again.

-steve

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.