Graphics Card Issue

The Little Guy

I have a "Nvidia GeForce 6200 With TurboCachee" graphics card and I just upgraded my XP to WIN7 and I am having problems with my graphics card (I think).

While I am using the computer, one of two things happen:

1. the screen makes all sorts of lines, much like this: http://www.laptopparts101.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/laptop-video-card-failure-2.jpg

it then goes to a blue screen saying it is dumping the memory or something like that, much like this: http://reformedmusings.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/win7b1-errorbox.jpeg

2. the screen goes black

I have the most recent drivers for the graphics card to, and they are windows 7 drivers. What is wrong?

It worked fine on XP, and I didn't even have the latest XP drivers for it.

OK, now what?

It may be that the card is just unsupported on Windows 7. It's fairly old and Windows 7 just may not be able to tap into the Turbocache (the ~64mbs of Vcard memory onboard) and give you this error.

The lines on the screen link to either, It not having enough power, defective chips, overvoltage, IRQ allocation impossibility, or drivers not being supported.

My N7600GS faulted out and caused artifacts once, turns out the capaciters blew.

EDIT: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=152536

Seems many people have problems with that card on that OS, maybe a MOBO issue with that all together. Best you google up experiences of X hardware on X os before you upgrade, It's essential for upgrades, especially hardware.

OK, I think I would have to get a new graphics card, mine is very out dated...

Thought I should add, ePCI and AGP cards that are modern in specs are not pricey in any means, Take a look at these two if you're considering purchasing:

9600GS - 1Gb (PCI-e 1.0/1.1/2.0 compatable)

GeForce FX 5500 256MB (AGP, just a rough look into what you should buy,this one's a bit old)

List of budget cards, with reviews - More similar, good read.

If you need help on which one to pick, for what, and if they are compatible with your current mobo, or anything, don't hesitate, and remember check compatibility because most places don't allow refund!

It ran, and they were fine. I am sure it is because of an old graphics card (Originally made before vista was out).

I just got a new one, and a new power supply.

Something tells me you got a crap video card if you bought one without a new motherboard because any new video card uses PCI 2.0 and older motherboards do not have that slot. If anything, you have the standard AGP/PCI (Not 2.0) motherboard?

It ran, and they were fine. I am sure it is because of an old graphics card (Originally made before vista was out).

I just got a new one, and a new power supply.

Something tells me you got a crap video card if you bought one without a new motherboard because any new video card uses PCI 2.0 and older motherboards do not have that slot. If anything, you have the standard AGP/PCI (Not 2.0) motherboard?

You're wrong. PCI-e 4x, or 1.0/1.1 will pump sufficient bandwidth for a 2.0 card, there is no need to have 2.0 save for a dual 320GTX, and even then you'd have ~4Gbps left over.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.