PHP Error

wantabe2

On my .php page I have a drop down box that has several names in it. When a user clicks the name & fills the rest of the form out, an email is sent to a supervisor. It works great EXCEPT, if I choose the first choice in the drop down box & submit it I get an error.

Here is the line of code the error references:

if (mail($email, "message1", $message, "message2")) {

The error is below:

Notice: Undefined variable: email on line 74

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 503 Issue RCPT TO: command before DATA command  on line 74

Any ideas?

http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

The 3rd parameter is your email body. The 4th parameter is headers like To: From: BCC: CC: etc.

Change to:

if (mail($email, "message1", $message)) { // $email = to address, "message1" = subject, $message = email body

You should only use the 4th parameter if you are adding extra headers.

That didn't fix it...I'm attaching my the entire php code file. Hopefully someone will see the problem in the code...Again, it works great as long as I don't choose SUPERVISOR1 from the drop down box. If I choose SUPERVISOR2 or SUPERVISOR3 from the drop down list, everything works perfect...I'm clueless

[attachment deleted by admin]

In reference to the above post I'be posted the error I get below:

Error, no supervisor selected!!!

Notice: Undefined variable: email in C:\wamp\www\222222.php on line 47

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 503 Issue RCPT TO: command before DATA command in C:\wamp\www\222222.php on line 47

This system is not working properly. Please contact IT so he can fix it.

look...

this 1 is completely working on mimun-ishi.com

$name = $fname." ".$lname; //senders name
$tel = "$phone"; //senders phone
$recipient = "mimun.ishi@gmail.com"; //recipient
$rec_copy = "mimun.leads@gmail.com";
$mail_body = "A new customer left his contact information for you to call him back \n";
$mail_body .= "First Name: $fname \n";
$mail_body .= "Last Name: $lname \n";
$mail_body .= "Passport Number: $tz \n";
$mail_body .= "Phone Number: $tel \n"; //mail body
$subject = date("l d F Y")." New client want you to call him "; //subject
$header = "From: ". $name . " <" . $tel . ">\r\n"; //optional headerfields

//ini_set('sendmail_from', 'me@domain.com'); 

mail($recipient, $subject, $mail_body, $header); //mail command 
mail($rec_copy, $subject, $mail_body, $header); 

I give up...

Schilly - Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. Have a good day.

Leading Web Dev...YOU LOOK! - If you'd read my post you'd see that is not what I'm needing. If you'd do more in your post than just copying & paste from other sites you MIGHT be helpful! Do you expect others in need of help to read your mind!

Go ahead & delete my account! I'll never be back nor will I read any emails from the admins. This site's forums is useless & believe me I've seen many over the years & this one ranks very low in my opinion.

Sometimes it takes common sense to debug stuff. The "undefined variable" is pretty clear, $email is never being set. The SMTP 503 error is another one you can easily look up and find out what the issue is there.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=503+Issue+RCPT+TO:+command+before+DATA

Feel free to look at that and figure out what is wrong with your SMTP server. If you do not own the server, contact your webhost about that. But alas, you decided to just trash the forums because you lack the common sense to solve your own problems, such as knowing to email your host about the SMTP or even just googling the error to figure out why it is being caused. Either way good luck with other forums since this one is just junk, according to you!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.