should i change my web hosting?

Reaper0167

I currently have godaddy shared hosting, and the max upload limit with a shared hosting package is 10mb. I can upgrade to a virtual dedicated server and have unlimited file sizes. But they tell me that I will have to set up everything myself, and keep it up to date. Does it require much to set up a virtual dedicated server and keep it running properly?

I use Hostgator. I'm happy with them.

I know Hosting24 is very cheap to use and its unlimited. I think it's shared.

However, their customer service is very poor and they drive me nuts when cancelling your hosting.

Hostgator is way much better. Much better customer service. They have packages for the type of hosting you have.

What i'd suggest is just.. go round to different webhosts. Contact them, or as hostgator has.. a live chat so you don't need to wait long.

Just find whats best for you?

Everything with godaddy has been ok up until the I needed users to upload files up to 30mb in size. The shared hosting plan allows a max on 10mb. That is really about it.

Is that a restriction that has been set within PHP, or the server as a whole?

It is a godaddy server limit. I have already went through the php5.ini and made all the changes. Default settings is 8mb upload limit, and the max is 10, server limited. I do this stuff mostly for fun, and if it makes a few bucks, cool. 7 bucks a month for my shared hosting is fine by me to pay for as a hobby. But paying 30 a month for virtual dedicated, now my hobby is getting more expensive. But I guess that is the way it works. From the research that i have done, godaddy's virtual dedicated is still the cheapest.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.