IE9

jcombs_31

Looks like Microsoft is making strides...

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

Yup, which is encouraging.  I doubt IE will ever be fully W3C compliant given Microsoft's track record to date, but so long as they cover the most widely used 75%-80% of the spec, I think most will be happy.  It's kind of like those special kids in school - they may not make the honor roll, but so long as they're not eating the paste and disturbing the other students, it's a victory.  It'll never replace FF for me, but I won't feel queasy using it when testing.

Also, just for comparison, the current version of FF scores a 92/100 on the Acid3 test.

In general, I thought MIX10 was pretty cool, from what I've read/seen.  Thoughts:

A lot of it was spent pimping WinPho 7, but that's to be expected.  I'm actually interested in developing some apps for it, I just need to familiarize myself with Silverlight. 

Visual Studio 2010 looks great, and ASP.NET 4.0 will actually generate well-formed, semantic code and play nice with CSS.  jQuery is now part of Visual Studio, which is a plus - intellisense, syntax highlighting, and all that jazz. 

Their Open Data Protocol is already in the wild, and I plan on using Netflix's OData for a project of mine.  What's nice is that it's truly open - I downloaded their PHP module, and it seems fairly straightforward.

Bill Buxton is a crazy dude.

It's kind of like those special kids in school - they may not make the honor roll, but so long as they're not eating the paste and disturbing the other students, it's a victory.

That's funny when you're using MS as the example.

I like to think of them as the good looking rich kid with a huge trust fund that finds out one day they can't skate by on their good looks for the rest of their life and may have to work for a living.

I was looking at the browser usage on our websites at work and it's always been around 80-90% IE users which hurts my soul when designing them (and for the record about 18% of that number still uses IE6 which downright kills my soul). In the past month or so the total number of IE users has dropped to around 68% which makes me happy.

Generally speaking, people are becoming more computer literate. Spam and crap security holes are forcing people to be more conscious of how they use the internet and everyone has that one "geek" in the family or friend base and I'm sure everyone of them (us) has said at one point, "if you want your computer to be more secure don't use IE...". I think it's finally having an impact. Go Team!

As to the point of this post. IE9 looks nice as a comparison to their predecessors but I still won't be using it =)

Generally speaking, people are becoming more computer literate. Spam and crap security holes are forcing people to be more conscious of how they use the internet and everyone has that one "geek" in the family or friend base and I'm sure everyone of them (us) has said at one point, "if you want your computer to be more secure don't use IE...". I think it's finally having an impact. Go Team!

I'd like to believe you on that, but man, there are still a lot of completely computer illiterate people around in my area of the world (NH, USA).  What really baffles me is that a lot of them are in the same age range as I am, so it's not like it's a generational thing with all of them.

Oh, I DO agree that there are still quite a few computer illiterate people out there. It's just that now kids (20ish and below) have always had a computer in the house and were raised with them (for the most part). For the rest of us above that age marker, it's hit and miss but even my parents who still call marijuana "The Pot" use Firefox because they had too much trouble with IE in the past (I didn't even have to school them on the pitfalls of using IE to browse that new fangled interweb).

Then again, it could be geographical as we're in Southern CA where people do whatever they see in Hollywood which would explain why you can't go into a Starbucks without seeing a Macbook haha.

1. The per capita of intelligence related to computers in each user relative to what there is to know has significantly went down from 25 years ago. (Take a look at Mac. 5% or so of the computer population use macs. I wouldn't be shocked at all if 95% of them were very limited on computer knowledge.)

2. My friend got his restrictied user virus. No. He wasn't on IE. He was on the 'indestructible' FF. Thankfully, he just deleted the account (And the virus went with it) and made a new one. The problem is not the browser, its Flash/Java. There are so many internet viruses made due to those.

3. Also, the security flaws is not within IE or FF, but ignorant users who go on the internet logged into an adminstrator/root are always proned to be virused no matter what the browser.

4. IE does crash once a day or so, but this isn't to say FF never crashes.

Are you guys serious??? Microsoft still have a web browser? Whoed have thunk it?

You gotta give em full credits for persistance...

Last time i used microsofts browser i was running windows 95, now who can remember that barrel of laughs?

The better browser is the browser that is increasing popularity. Such that in this order one declined while the next increased in popularity. Netscape Navigator, IE, and now FF.

Look at any browser share statistics of the past 15 years and look at what they say.

Wiki says Netscape reached 90%, IE reached 95%, and now FF is gonna reach some high number until the next browser makes that one obsolete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser

IE was better than Netscape navigator. Your fault for not using it since Win95. You could also use my logic and say its my fault for using IE instead of FF when there is evidence FF is better. But I'm stubborn just like you were.  :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.