tip of the day: printpost.php

andrewgauger

put a file in your script directory named printpost.php with this code:

<?php
foreach ($_POST as $key => $arg){
print $key. " = ". $arg. "<br>";}
?>

once you create your form, start with <form method="post" action="printpost.php"> ... </form>

This will help you make sure you have the data you were expecting from the form BEFORE you start coding the handler that way you can rule out bad data as a source of unexpected results.

Please reply with any good tips  :D

put a file in your script directory named printpost.php with this code:

<?php
foreach ($_POST as $key => $arg){
?>

once you create your form, start with <form method="post" action="printpost.php"> ... </form>

This will help you make sure you have the data you were expecting from the form BEFORE you start coding the handler that way you can rule out bad data as a source of unexpected results.

Please reply with any good tips  :D

Whats wrong with?

<pre>
<?php print_r($_REQUEST); ?>
</pre>

I love the simplicity of print_r but hate the fact it doesn't break elements into individual lines....

You are right that I should be parsing the $_REQUEST variable instead, should look like:

<?php
foreach ($_REQUEST as $key => $arg){
?>

Maybe include an

echo $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];

and execute the script with default values and print out a copy for reference.

OK, here's the thing.  I use print_r for inline debugging but I think this example goes beyond that.  What I am trying to achieve is a pleasing output that will help catch errors and it is my humble opinion that line delimitation is easier to catch errors in request variables and their values. 

OK, here's the thing.  I use print_r for inline debugging but I think this example goes beyond that.  What I am trying to achieve is a pleasing output that will help catch errors and it is my humble opinion that line delimitation is easier to catch errors in request variables and their values. 

It outputs newlines, thus this will work:

print nl2br(print_r($_REQUEST, 1));

Anything more fancy than that in a programmers perspective is pointless.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.