While I undertake the coding of a forum...

aeroswat

I come across the question... What's a reasonable size for each post? What's the maximum length of a varchar? Is there virtually none when compared to a forum post size? I was reading something about varchar(max) which I do not find on my phpmyadmin. The max size I am reading on that is 2GB which is ridiculous.

In the interest of saving a lot of time because I really don't want to end up spending a ton of time on this project to start I decided I'm just going to go ahead and use a pre-packaged bb. How does phpBB compare to vBulletin (don't care a lot about the cost so don't use this as a factor please). Also would anyone recommend any other bb's that are better with load and security? Only compare free ones to phpBB and for profit ones with vBulletin please.

In my honest opinion, phpBB 3 is the second best forum software, with vBulletin securing the top spot. It has tons of features and very good security. Coming in third would be IP.Board. Then everything else. The rest just don't cut it by my standards.

In my honest opinion, phpBB 3 is the second best forum software, with vBulletin securing the top spot. It has tons of features and very good security. Coming in third would be IP.Board. Then everything else. The rest just don't cut it by my standards.

Thankyou for your input Ken2k7. I'll go ahead and try phpBB again. I started it once a long time ago when I knew nothing about php. From what I remember it was great if you didn't want to change a lot about the bulletin board but to do any semi heavy modifications it proved to be a little confusing. Maybe with a bit more experience under my belt i will be able to find myself around it alot easier! I can't access the vbulletin site from where I am. Any idea what the total costs of running one amounts to?

That's for everything? Including upgrades, support, etc? Also is that $195/yr or forever?

The $195 is a one-time fee. You can run it for as long as you want. Upgrades for the current version is free. For the next version, you get a discount, but you still have to pay for it. Support is an annual fee of $80.

That's for everything? Including upgrades, support, etc? Also is that $195/yr or forever?

The $195 is a one-time fee. You can run it for as long as you want. Upgrades for the current version is free. For the next version, you get a discount, but you still have to pay for it. Support is an annual fee of $80.

Thank you for the answers :) Btw have you used vbulletin? I have been hearing that the admin control panel on vbulletin is much better than phpbb. Is this true?

Thank you for the answers :) Btw have you used vbulletin? I have been hearing that the admin control panel on vbulletin is much better than phpbb. Is this true?

I do not own a vBulletin software; however, I did get IPB Perpetual license when it was still available. I've tried it but that was years back. I don't know about now, but I trust that its ACP is very nice. phpBB3's ACP is not at all bad either. phpBB3 is a huge improvement over previous versions of phpBB.

They both have demos, admin and user perspectives.

Any of the paid ones are going to be better than the freebies. I'm personally a fan of IPB. I think it is very well laid out, easy to use, and feature rich. But, each person has their own opinion on which is best. ;)

And as Maq said, try the demos before you buy anything!

Any of the paid ones are going to be better than the freebies. I'm personally a fan of IPB. I think it is very well laid out, easy to use, and feature rich. But, each person has their own opinion on which is best. ;)

It really depends what you're aiming for. IPB and vB have tons of features you may never, ever use. So it's mostly wasted money.

It really depends what you're aiming for. IPB and vB have tons of features you may never, ever use. So it's mostly wasted money.

Yup, always shop around before you buy what you think is best for you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.